Venus fly traps!

The musings of Carnivorous Plant addicts!

  • Home
    Home This is where you can find all the blog posts throughout the site.
  • Categories
    Categories Displays a list of categories from this blog.
  • Tags
    Tags Displays a list of tags that have been used in the blog.
  • Bloggers
    Bloggers Search for your favorite blogger from this site.
  • Team Blogs
    Team Blogs Find your favorite team blogs here.
  • Login
    Login Login form

November Tissue Culture update

Posted by on in MyBlog
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 4676
  • 0 Comments
  • Subscribe to this entry
  • Print
Today is February 14th and I made my first tissue culture attempt on November 18th, so it's been a few months now since I made my first attempt at tissue culture.  I learned quite a bit and had moderate success germinating seeds in vitro, but explants are a different story.  Micropropagation is quite hard!  All of my explants were unsuccessful because the plant material died.  Here are the sterilization techniques that I used:For seeds:1) 10% bleach for 15 minutes2) Rinse in sterile water3) Transfer to media For tissue:1) Dip the cutting in the 90% alcohol quickly. Hold it above the alcohol to let any excess drain.2) Drop the cutting in 3% peroxide for 2 minutes3) Drop the cutting in 10% bleach mix for 15 minutes4) Drop the cutting in sterile water for 10 minutes5) Drop the cutting in 2% PPM (plant preservative mixture) solution for 30 to 60 minutes6) Transfer to media  Things I learned from my first attempt at tissue culture: PPM (plant preservative mixture) is toxic to small Dionaea explants at 2% concentration.  I'm fairly certain that a 30 to 60 minute soak in 2% PPM is what killed my explants and caused extreme phenolic oxidation.  However, it could also have been that I over sterilized the tissue. Seeds are quite easy to sterilize.  I had no contamination of Dionaea seed and only minimal contamination of Sarracenia seed. Something that I did prevented nearly all of the Dionaea seed from germinating.  My guess is one of four things: 1) The overnight soak in Gibberellic Acid (GA3) prior to doing the sterilization wasn't good. 2) The fact that the media I sowed the seed on was a little too hard which prevented the seeds from soaking up the nutrients in the media. 3) The seed wasn't viable to begin with. 4) I over sterilized them (not likely). Well, after waiting for months, I've only had 3 out of 30 Dionaea seeds germinate and they just germinated within the last couple of weeks (sometime near the end of January).  After seeing how well hackerberry's (Jun) in vitro seedlings are doing after replating, I'm planning on replating mine in the next couple of days.  I just wanted to take some photos now for a bookmark.  Here they are:  A germinated Dionaea Seed:Another Dionaea seedling:One More: And onto the Sarrs.  Here is some Dana's Delight seedlings: and two shots of my best two jars of Sarracenia oreophila: Hope you enjoyed the photos!  Next time you see these little guys, they'll be in new cultures on new media and hopefully growing like crazy!
0

Comments

  • No comments made yet. Be the first to submit a comment

Leave your comment

Guest Wednesday, 11 December 2019

Like us on Facebook

Who's Online

We have 133 guests and no members online

Forum Users Online

We have 234 guests and 5 members online