FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Mawy_Plants
boarderlib wrote:
Mawy_Plants wrote: Would you say it's safe to repot? It's only been in that pot for about a month and a half now. I just don't want to stress it out. I'd rather tackle one issue at a time. Lol.
I would get a tall plastic pot, and just move the whole plug of media and plant into the new pot. As long as you don't disturb the roots the plant won't even notice. Then top water really heavily. Drown it. Let the plant dry. And then treat it with neem.
Mawy_Plants wrote:I really appreciate you taking the time to explain neem application and helping diagnose the issue. I'm guessing I can spray neem on the entire plant? And would using it on my others as preventative be beneficial or overkill?

Again many thanks!
Yes, you can spray the entire plant. I would spray everything close to this plant as a safety precaution.

I'm glad I could help.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That makes things so much easier! I'll make some time this weekend to transplant and apply some neem. I'll have to post a pic!

No wonder your collection is so beautiful! All the tricks of the trade you have.
Mawy_Plants liked this
By Mawy_Plants
Orit wrote: Googled it. The location looks the same. I think I got Mountain View and Sunnyvale confused because they are so close, sorry. Also was surprised to see just okay reviews. Looks like the quality may have gone downhill, which is really disappointing. I'd usually leave literally in pain from overeating. Oh well, no shortage of amazing food out there.
No need to apologize! Might still have to check it out. What was your favorite menu item? You can live vicariously through me. Haha. Hopefully some of the items are still good quality. But it's so unfortunate when that happens. I've had a few places I would rave about that turned for the worse years later. I always wonder if it's managing, change of chefs, what may have you.
By Mawy_Plants
riveraXVX wrote:I second just taking the whole plug of media+plant and transplanting that into a taller plastic or Styrofoam cup - I ended up having to move our 6 plants two times in LFSM via that method in a very short time after they were settling in nicely and they didn't skip a beat in continuing where they were (once by choice and once because a storm blew them off the porch)
Thanks for chiming in!

I would have never thought about that. That's why you guys/ gals are the pros! Lol. Sorry to hear about the weather accident. Are storms common in your area? I'm guessing you've taken preventative measures since then tho!
By Orit
Mawy_Plants wrote:
Orit wrote: Googled it. The location looks the same. I think I got Mountain View and Sunnyvale confused because they are so close, sorry. Also was surprised to see just okay reviews. Looks like the quality may have gone downhill, which is really disappointing. I'd usually leave literally in pain from overeating. Oh well, no shortage of amazing food out there.
No need to apologize! Might still have to check it out. What was your favorite menu item? You can live vicariously through me. Haha. Hopefully some of the items are still good quality. But it's so unfortunate when that happens. I've had a few places I would rave about that turned for the worse years later. I always wonder if it's managing, change of chefs, what may have you.
we always went to the weekend buffet. if you like Indian food, everyone we took loved this place, but it was nearly 8 years ago! buffet changed slightly week to week but there was always good stuff. cafe baklava in Mountain view was a very good Turkish restaurant. and banana leaf in san jose! ah, i wish we had good food like that here in denver.
By Mawy_Plants
Orit wrote: we always went to the weekend buffet. if you like Indian food, everyone we took loved this place, but it was nearly 8 years ago! buffet changed slightly week to week but there was always good stuff. cafe baklava in Mountain view was a very good Turkish restaurant. and banana leaf in san jose! ah, i wish we had good food like that here in denver.
I actually am a fan of Indian food. There's a Bazar next to my work in Santa Clara that I always pick up samosas from. Hnnnng. I think the cafe is still around, never got around to checking it out. The restaurant scene downtown has changed so much!

Funny you mentioned Denver, I have family in Aurora and my fiancé's family is in Littleton. I'm going there on Tuesday actually! Hahaha. I would concur with not having that great of a food selection out there. But to be fair, the Bay Area is just on a whole different level. If you like sushi, Sushi Train off of Hampden is pretty sweet. All you can eat for about $20! :o :o :o
By Orit
well, since you're going to be here, we do have a few, but they're few and far between in a sea of applebees and chilis...... root down is phenomenal. expensive but worth it, if you can get a reservation. out of this world, even for a Californian accustomed to very good food. it's actually good enough to be on par with one of the better NY restaurants. it's totally on its own level in Colorado.
d bar is very good but no place compares to root down. both are downtown so i rarely go. Pierre michel, not far from parts of littleton, is family owned, actually authentic organic french brunch place, but get there early because they tend to sell out. jing at the landmark is very good, close to hampden. but if you can get to root down, do yourself a favor and go. I'll try your sushi place sometime, thanks! I'm a vegetarian so it may be wasted on me, but i love vegetarian sushi rolls.

mostly the locals talk about great restaurants, especially ethnic restaurants, and they're all mediocre. the locals have just never had truly great Indian or Thai food.
By Mawy_Plants
Welp, a few days later and it seems like the little fellow is doing alright. Got around to repotting and spraying a neem oil solution this evening, thanks again Boarderlib!

And now we wait...
Attachments:
Unaware of what's about to go down...
Unaware of what's about to go down...
IMG_4364.JPG (877.25 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
Tadaaaa!
Tadaaaa!
IMG_4368.JPG (724.12 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
Plug it in, plug it in.
Plug it in, plug it in.
IMG_4370.JPG (1.14 MiB) Viewed 3765 times
I can see the light!
I can see the light!
IMG_4371.JPG (967.53 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
By Mawy_Plants
Orit wrote:well, since you're going to be here, we do have a few, but they're few and far between in a sea of applebees and chilis...... root down is phenomenal. expensive but worth it, if you can get a reservation. out of this world, even for a Californian accustomed to very good food. it's actually good enough to be on par with one of the better NY restaurants. it's totally on its own level in Colorado.
d bar is very good but no place compares to root down. both are downtown so i rarely go. Pierre michel, not far from parts of littleton, is family owned, actually authentic organic french brunch place, but get there early because they tend to sell out. jing at the landmark is very good, close to hampden. but if you can get to root down, do yourself a favor and go. I'll try your sushi place sometime, thanks! I'm a vegetarian so it may be wasted on me, but i love vegetarian sushi rolls.

mostly the locals talk about great restaurants, especially ethnic restaurants, and they're all mediocre. the locals have just never had truly great Indian or Thai food.
Thanks for the list of spots! Hopefully we'll get around to stopping by one of your suggestions. If not now, eventually! Not sure their sushi selection, but I'm sure they'd provide a vegetarian option. Japanese cuisine seems pretty similar, that is, besides fish.

Yeah, we tried one of the Thai restaurants there. Needless to say we will not be returning. Haha.

Anywho, may I ask your set up or what Genera your collection consists of? We're considering relocating in a few years to Colorado and I know the climate is not exactly ideal for CPs.
By Orit
Looking great after the repotting. Nice work!

I only have flytraps and a few sundews. Due to the low humidity, I think any pitcher plants except Sarracenia are pretty much out of the question for natural outdoor conditions. Flytraps don't mind the low humidity, and my dews (d capensis, d filiformis, d admirabilis, and d aliciae) are thriving.

Only had 2 flytraps last year and they went dormant indoors on a sunny windowsill due to the light cycle. This winter, I'll have to put them in the garage as I have too many for the windowsill, and they'll freeze solid outside without protection. A bit of warning, we can get snow through mid May and can go from 85 degrees one day to snow the next, so you really have to keep on your toes and check the weather daily in the spring/fall (extended forecasts are useless here). I also hauled them inside every night for a while after a surprise frost hit them hard, but they stay outside full time now. Certainly not the mild California weather, but with a little work, they can grow and be happy here.
By Mawy_Plants
Orit wrote:Only had 2 flytraps last year and they went dormant indoors on a sunny windowsill due to the light cycle. This winter, I'll have to put them in the garage as I have too many for the windowsill, and they'll freeze solid outside without protection.
Thanks! I'm sure Sunny appreciates it too. That's what I've named my first VFT. Lolol. I've been wanting to take it out of the ceramic pot since it's too short and of course, the mineral leeching issue. Finally got around to it after a couple members suggested repotting the entire plug, I was afraid I had to break it down entirely. Looks so much nicer too, now the entire pack is in white containers. So hopefully less chance of overheating!

Awesome, glad to hear they're thriving in colder climates. You have pretty good variety! Are you thinking of adding Sarracenia eventually?

Do you mind clarifying the light cycle situation? I know that Colorado has long sunny days for most of the year. Did that confuse your VFT? I'm assuming you're putting them in the garage so they go into dormancy.

You've given me hope! And thanks for the weather warning. It's crazy how one day changes to the next. Glad to hear they didn't put up a fit after the frost incident. Reminds me of my days in San Antonio, Texas! Except more like scorching heat and thunder storms. Haha
By Orit
yes, sunny should be quite happy in that nice white pot. i have named each of my 16 VFTs. :)

i had a judith hindle sarracenia that arrived not in the best health, and i didn't take good care of it, and it died. i realized I'm much more of a vft/sundew type of person. spiders can live in and around sarras, and part of my love for cps involves my hatred of spiders.

all i was saying about the light was that the shorter days during winter allowed my plants to naturally go dormant despite being on a warm windowsill. the only reason they're going in the garage this year is because there are too many to fit against the windows.

the frost did a lot of damage, actually, though they withstood a surprise snow storm about a week or two before with no lasting effects. i dont know if it was the thawing/refreezing or the fact that they were starting to come out of dormancy. i started bringing them inside every night after that unless the forecast was a low of 45. i know they're okay much cooler than that, but i didnt want to risk the forecast being wrong again and having more damage. another reason why my sarra died - i didnt want to risk bringing spiders inside with it.
By Mawy_Plants
Orit wrote:i didnt want to risk bringing spiders inside with it.
Mars is the name of my other, well, others since I broke him up into 5 cups... Cleverly named by my "mars", if you will. :lol:

Makes sense why you shy away from sarras then, never know what could be hiding! My traps are all outside so I get spiders nesting all around. That's usually in the evening. I saw once at least 5 little guys hanging out in the trap, but suspended on their web, I think I have a pic of that... I'll post if I do! Used to dislike them, moreso indifferent. But after taking an entomology course during my undergrad, I fell in love with insects and all creatures similar, ie arachnids/ crustaceans. Ticks still freak me out and I've always loved roly polys.

Thanks for clarifying btw. I totally had it wrong. Hahaha. Forget the garage, I say invest in a larger windowsill! Kidding. Definitely gotta do more research on their dormancy, fortunately I still have some time till then.

Is your VFT collection a bunch of different cultivars? I've been eyeing a few of them in the FTS, not sure what to go with once I do. I like Jaws, something about the deep red coupled with short cilia. And Wacky Traps' silly looking teeth. I saw one of the limited ones, Schuppenstiel I and that just looks wicked cool. Texture petiole, long, deep red cilia...
By Orit
I used to like spiders until I lived in a nightmare apartment that was absolutely infested, but that's a long story for another day. I would love to see your pictures when you find them.

Yes, mine are all different cultivars. I love all the different types of teeth, color, etc. Of the 3 you mentioned, I only have Jaws. Mine is finally getting healthy again after my struggles with pests/being a newbie and I love the way the teeth look now. It also had some amazing color in the spring.

So you're pretty new to the hobby, too? Be warned, shopping at FTS is extremely addicting LOL. The plants always arrive at peak health and will be absolutely beautiful. Where did you get your current plants?

I learned a ton about dormancy from this thread:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/post32399.html#p32399
By Mawy_Plants
Orit wrote: So you're pretty new to the hobby, too? Be warned, shopping at FTS is extremely addicting LOL. The plants always arrive at peak health and will be absolutely beautiful. Where did you get your current plants?

Doesn't sound like a pleasant experience. I'd be paranoid to find a nest waiting for all of them to hatch. Yikes. Fun fact, we eat about 5 while sleeping on an annual basis. And I found it! Not the best quality, you see most of them tho. Haha.

Awesome! Do you have a favorite out of all of yours? I'm sure they each have a special place in your heart. Pests seem to be a common occurrence, I wonder how it is in their natural environments... Did the cilia stay green while the center reddened up? That's how I saw it in the description pic at least.

Very new. Going to be two months in, soon! :) I hope I don't get carried away when I do finally purchase. Gimme them all! Perhaps I'll get two or three at a time, if anything. Slowly grow my collection. Before you know it, there goes your wallet. Lol.

I got these two at Sprouts. I was shopping there one day and told myself if they're still there the next time I go I'll get one. When I did get one, I went in 4 days later and got two more. :lol: One of them had mold so I returned it. Saw them throw it away right then and there. Poor guy. Are all you traps from the FTS?

Thanks for the link! Definitely going to read up on that. I actually picked up two CP books from the library to learn about other Families and Genera. Another good resource besides the Internet. :P
Attachments:
So tempted to trigger the trap. I refrained tho. They were smart enough not to, so they get to live.
So tempted to trigger the trap. I refrained tho. They were smart enough not to, so they get to live.
IMG_3907.JPG (624.03 KiB) Viewed 3710 times
By Orit
Those spiders have no idea how lucky they are. As much as i hate to pick favorites, I think Flaming Lips and Maroon Monster deserve a mention. Both strikingly beautiful and good growers. I think the teeth and coloration pattern vary throughout the year. Jaws doesn't have a ton of color now, but it had some awesome patterns in the spring, though the teeth are more as they were pictured now than in the spring. Jaws is one of the 9 I repotted, and the ones I left alone are definitely healthier, so it's really not fair to compare. I'll have to repot those 9 again at the end of dormancy and hopefully figure out what I did wrong. For me, the color patterns haven't been 100% as pictured, but suffice it to say I'm never disappointed with what I get. some have been a lot more colorful than pictured.

All my living flytraps are from here. i had 1 other one that I got for free, tiny and half-dead. it didn't make it, but it sparked the obsession.

Jaws in mid-March, still dormant. Sooo pretty:
Attachments:
Screenshot_2017-07-30-17-17-05.png
Screenshot_2017-07-30-17-17-05.png (1.22 MiB) Viewed 3705 times
My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!