A Comprehensive Venus Fly Trap Website

Will my trap grow in Phoenix, Arizona

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Re: Will my trap grow in Phoenix, Arizona

Postby Steve_D » Thu May 14, 2009 11:30 pm

mlrtime99 wrote:That is a moss that shipped with the HO red dragon, I'm really hoping it establishes itself.

Don't worry; it will. And then a couple years from now you'll regret you ever felt this way. It looks so pretty in the beginning. :lol:
Steve_D

Postby mlrtime99 » Fri May 15, 2009 3:16 am

Does it get that bad? It won't go over the sides of the pot will it? No competition with vft?
mlrtime99

Postby kevinqwe » Fri May 15, 2009 4:22 am

?? what do u mean competition? venus flytraps dont fight.
kevinqwe

Postby Steve_D » Fri May 15, 2009 4:33 am

mlrtime99 wrote:Does it get that bad? It won't go over the sides of the pot will it? No competition with vft?

There are many species of these "carpet mosses," but in general they form a very dense and crowding mat that sucks up all the water of the first couple inches of growing medium and strangle any seedlings both by crowding them from the sides and squeezing them, and by growing much faster and taller than the slow-growing Venus Flytrap or Darlintonia californica seedlings, for instance.

Carpet moss propagates very quickly. You will notice after a while, if you look closely while you are watering from above, that dozens or hundreds of tiny little green specks float on the water and are deposited all over the surface of the planting medium when you water. These all grow into new moss colonies.

Once it catches hold in a few pots, it seems to become an ineradicable problem in the greenhouse. I have even begun to sterilize growing medium in a pressure cooker to use as a top dressing (about an inch or 2.5 centimeters thick) when I transplant, to try to suppress the moss growth as much and as long as possible.

Yes, it's pretty. But it is a demon weed! :evil: :lol:
Steve_D

Postby mlrtime99 » Fri May 15, 2009 7:32 am

Well I have way too much moss and perlite so if it gets outta control I'll replant. I've read that the moss can only handle "partial sun" at the most, maybe Phoenix will get the best of it? But thanks for the warning Steve. What are you talking about Kevin??? They are just like male beta fish, I asked that all of my vft were males so when they get large enough they will fight with eachother. :D
mlrtime99

Postby NZL » Fri May 15, 2009 8:58 am

mlrtime99 wrote:I asked that all of my vft were males so when they get large enough they will fight with eachother. :D

It's not a pretty sight. It's like cock fights but with traps instead of beaks and claws. Last year's world final was a B52 vs a Low Giant, in which the B52 won because he had a bigger swing range :D
Niels.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." - Stephen Hawking
NZL

Postby Matt » Fri May 15, 2009 3:28 pm

NZL wrote:Last year's world final was a B52 vs a Low Giant, in which the B52 won because he had a bigger swing range :D

:lol:
Matt
Site Admin

Postby mlrtime99 » Fri May 15, 2009 5:37 pm

Weird, I thought with the low giants center of gravity he would have been a shoe in.
mlrtime99

Postby Budukai » Fri May 15, 2009 5:56 pm

Steve_D wrote:
Carpet moss propagates very quickly. You will notice after a while, if you look closely while you are watering from above, that dozens or hundreds of tiny little green specks float on the water and are deposited all over the surface of the planting medium when you water. These all grow into new moss colonies.

So that's what that stuff is, I was going to make a post asking if I should be worried about algae or something. 2 of my pots have these green specks all around the top part, covering the perlite, and leaking into the tray at the bottom. Does long sphagum moss actually come back from the dead or is this a different moss?
Ron

"So good makes you smack yo mama" best BBQ sauce quote ever
Budukai

Postby kevinqwe » Sat May 16, 2009 5:10 am

and how long are the battles? like a year?
kevinqwe

Postby NZL » Sat May 16, 2009 2:53 pm

Budukai wrote:So that's what that stuff is, I was going to make a post asking if I should be worried about algae or something. 2 of my pots have these green specks all around the top part, covering the perlite, and leaking into the tray at the bottom. Does long sphagum moss actually come back from the dead or is this a different moss?

Sphagnum moss can come back from very far yes.
Niels.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." - Stephen Hawking
NZL

Next

Return to Venus Fly Trap General Discussions