FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By cpman
First it was apparently a highland variation of N. truncata, then it was a species and now I've heard from places that it could be a natural hybrid closely related to Truncata and Veitchii or quite possibly an extinct parent species. I've read a few pages but I cant seem to find anything conclusive online such as articles with the current species description or what not. Can anyone shed some light on the matter? On a side note I've always wanted one of these plants but couldnt really afford it when Borneo exotics first released that batch a few years ago so I've waited until now to see if I can find it abit cheaper somewhere hence why im so interested in knowing what this plant really is.
By Smooter80
To my knowledge, there is no hard evidence showing that robcantleyi is a hybrid between truncata and nebularum. It very well may be a hybrid, but until genetic testing is done, it's just a theory. IOM, there seems to be almost a forced rush to get this change official without any real proof.

I don't really care one way or the other, just take the time to get it right.
Smooter80 liked this
By nimbulan
The latest published paper in the previous issue of the ICPS newsletter argues for it being a hybrid between truncata and nebularum (new species which looks very similar to robcantleyi) using a fairly thorough morphological analysis and some observation of the growth habit of "pure" robcantleyi and robcantleyi hybrid seedlings which apparently show similar developmental issues as hybrids can. The trouble is, other species that were previously thought to be hybrids based on morphological analysis were disproved using genetic analysis. Until that's done, we can't be 100% sure.
nimbulan liked this
By cpman
Benurmanii wrote:Damn, thought this was going to be more along the lines of "what's the deal with robcantleyi over-hype".
Well tbh I think it is over hyped and that has something to do with why I didnt really save up to get it when it came out for sale in the first place but I've just really been atracted to the dark coloration and squat like truncata pitchers it has so if I find it at a reasonable price im all for it :lol: but I gotta say that the pasian variety of Truncata really gives robi a run for its money. Heres a picture of mine a few days ago.
Attachments:
Back when it opened up
Back when it opened up
IMG_5148.JPG (773.63 KiB) Viewed 4810 times
IMG_5370.JPG
IMG_5370.JPG (920.19 KiB) Viewed 4810 times
By PetroleumJunkie412
Benurmanii wrote:
Smooter80 wrote:Says the Ping guy!! LOL ;)
I won't lie, there are a lot of Neps I love, but I've seen robcantleyi in person, and I honestly am not that attracted to it. To me, all it has going for it are big leaves and big pitchers.
My carnivore can literally eat your ping. Just sayin...

(Joking, of course!)
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!