FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By Multiclone
goldslinger wrote:All of this talk of replating got Me a'thinkin.

When do You all prefer to Vivo out? About flowering size?
Would that be when the rhyzome is about as big around as a pencil? Bigger?

Do they keep up their momentum for awhile in the peat with all the goodie they've had?

Thanks!

Gary
It totally depends on what you want to achieve. For vft we plant out a mixture of small, medium and large because we sell different pot sizes. I do not do too much special to obtain different sizes now, we have so many it occurs naturally during the process. Drosera, sarra etc I wait until they are easily manageable. If they are small the increase of them stressing is fairly great as is the same if they are extra large. I find planting out is far better than singles and a lot less time consuming.
When planting out we make up 1,000 plugs at a time the night before they are drenched with Dettol and are left to stand for at least 12 hours. When deflasking we place cultures in a mixture of Mancozeb which are planted dripping wet with this. After 24 hours we spray with Envy a polymer which seals the leaves. If the cultures are good to start with we hardly have any losses.
Geoff
By sativ
Envy is artificial substitute of waxy coating on the leaves? Does it really help during aclymatisation? Plants makes their own waxy coating in ~2 weeks, what happens when we give them artificial- they can b put in just only humidity ~50-60%?

http://www.agrobest.com.au/products/Envy-37.html -? Do you mayby know exact chemical compostion of this stuff?

Very big thanks for all info- it's really rare thing in TC world.... ;)
By sativ
Heh.... there are thousands of different acrylic polimers ;) Also solven is important thing...

Regards
By cvlover
If you need more information how to dissolve acrylic polymer for plants you're better to study more about acrylic especially acrylic emulsifier and test to make sure that solvents/mixture will not kill your plants and as good as commercial product. When you master on that you can make your Envy and sell it to us :shock: . Moreover, you can make acrylic paints, acrylic adhesives and so on ;)
Kinh
By Multiclone
sativ wrote:Envy is artificial substitute of waxy coating on the leaves? Does it really help during aclymatisation? Plants makes their own waxy coating in ~2 weeks, what happens when we give them artificial- they can b put in just only humidity ~50-60%?

http://www.agrobest.com.au/products/Envy-37.html -? Do you mayby know exact chemical compostion of this stuff?

Very big thanks for all info- it's really rare thing in TC world.... ;)
Envy really helps us for the first few weeks. We only spray on the plants once. The new leaves have their wax coating. Our planting out is very basic, we have an enclosed bench within a plant house and this is often full so we shove cultures anywhere we can, mainly under benches & in the nepenthes house but always maintaining as high a humidity as possible.
In the summer here Envy helps stop excessive plant stress, it can get very very hot. In the winter when we have low humidity it helps stop dehydration and makes a barrier against disease attack like the dreaded botrytis. If you get some botrytis a spray with Dettol at 5ml per ltr kills all the spore instantly.
Geoff
By goldslinger
I have some pledge, but probably not a good idea. . . ;)
By cvlover
Update:

After pulling seedling apart and transfer to new medium seedlings get root and grow like weed. In the second picture, you see the red roots are forming for about a week. Potato Extract is the keyword.
Kinh
tf-1.jpg
tf-1.jpg (711.16 KiB) Viewed 4568 times
tf-3.jpg
tf-3.jpg (675.29 KiB) Viewed 4568 times
By ahicks51
What sort of potato extract? Do you make your own from raw potatoes, or use some sort of commercial preparation?
By cvlover
ahicks51 wrote:What sort of potato extract? Do you make your own from raw potatoes, or use some sort of commercial preparation?
I make my own PE from raw potatoes. I cut potato in pieces; cook 500 gram potato in 500ml distilled water for 20 minutes; discard potato; add more water to make 500ml solution; use 5 ml PE to make 100 ml medium. I add PE in medium and Dionaea seedlings get root in a few days. I have a jar of Sar without root. Will try to see it works or not.
Kinh
tf-4.jpg
tf-4.jpg (596.85 KiB) Viewed 4583 times
cvlover liked this
By Binny
Multiclone wrote:This is my method from seed:
1.Seeds germinated on 20%MS and transferred monthly for about 3 transfers to obtain a good working size plant.
Thanks for your advice and sharing your experience in these posts.

I do have a question though. For germination and initial transfers are you using / would 'one' recomend 30g/l sugar, or should there be less sugar for initial germination of nepenthes seed? I guess nep seeds have basically zero energy store, but should one start with lower concentration of sugar first and slowly increase each subsequent replate to lessen osmotic stress or is this not an issue on such low conc. media and the energy required by germinating plant in peoples experience?
By roarke
Like Binny said about the sugar, i'm interested to about it. It is normal sugar, cvlover ? I read somewhere that you can use natural hormones... Potato Extract is the only thing you use as a plant hormone and can be used for every CP ?
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!