FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By BigBella
blucksy wrote:This would be for nepenthes seeds and VFT. Maybe a cephalotus leaf also

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
I have had successes with peracetic acid -- 6% acetic acid and hydrogen peroxide -- and dilute bleach solutions as well. There are threads on preparing the acid at home; and always choose a brand name bleach, since the concentration of sodium hydrochlorite varies a great deal by brand -- even by a given season. You always want to know a given concentration of any prepared solution.

Cephalotus leaves oxidize very easily, so I would treat those with kid gloves; so too Nepenthes seed . . .
By DrNo7
I have had great sucess using 1% silver nitrate combined with 70% ethanol through 5 minute exposures.
By Doomsday
BigBella wrote:
blucksy wrote:This would be for nepenthes seeds and VFT. Maybe a cephalotus leaf also

I have had successes with peracetic acid -- 6% acetic acid and hydrogen peroxide -- and dilute bleach solutions as well. There are threads on preparing the acid at home; and always choose a brand name bleach, since the concentration of sodium hydrochlorite varies a great deal by brand -- even by a given season. You always want to know a given concentration of any prepared solution.

Cephalotus leaves oxidize very easily, so I would treat those with kid gloves; so too Nepenthes seed . . .
How do you go about using the peracetic acid to sterilize seeds (and explants if you do that too), in regards to timing and rinsing?
By BigBella
Doomsday wrote:
BigBella wrote:

How do you go about using the peracetic acid to sterilize seeds (and explants if you do that too), in regards to timing and rinsing?
The fact is -- I don't use peracetic acid any longer, not since the development of PPM. I typically soaked seeds and explants upwards of twenty minutes, followed by an H202 soak of five minutes, without rinsing . . .
BigBella liked this
By BigBella
DrNo7 wrote:I have had great sucess using 1% silver nitrate combined with 70% ethanol through 5 minute exposures.
I too have used silver nitrate in the past; and there are some silver ion-based products, such as Fungigone on the market that I have tried; though, it is a bit more difficult and pricey, for most hobbyists, to procure than supermarket white vinegar and 2% H202.

Provided that sterile technique is practiced; that seeds and tissue are treated carefully; peracetic acid can be quite effective . . .

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!