FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By snapperhead51
well Mat is right you will get your finger wet, the first fluid in the pitcher is very viscous meaning thick ! and before the pitcher is open I am told drinkable , I have heard that some native peoples in Borneo when in the heavy jungle and can not find water that they drink the unopened pitcher fluid , sound a bit horrid to me but its quite feasible , you will not catch any thing nor be harmed by it
hope that clears that up for you :mrgreen:
J
snapperhead51 liked this
By CN-
snapperhead51 wrote:well Mat is right you will get your finger wet, the first fluid in the pitcher is very viscous meaning thick ! and before the pitcher is open I am told drinkable , I have heard that some native peoples in Borneo when in the heavy jungle and can not find water that they drink the unopened pitcher fluid , sound a bit horrid to me but its quite feasible , you will not catch any thing nor be harmed by it
hope that clears that up for you :mrgreen:
J
Snapper,
It is true that you can drink the fluid of an unopened pitcher , the ph it is neutral 7.0. I have done this too test the theory .
Peter D'Amato talks about this as well in his book Savage Gardens page 245 second paragraph. The liquid at the peristome is quit sugary as well.

Daren
CN- liked this
By CN-
snapperhead51 wrote:Daren . man your my hero :mrgreen: that's awesome testing there man ha ha ah !! was never game enough too do that , new I read or heard it some where ha ha ha cool as :D
thanks J,
I am no Noob ......lol
By dimitar
Funy story guys :lol:
I have read different stories about drinking the fluid from Neps pitchers. They say not to drink. The liquid does not kill us but stomachache can occur.I haven't tried and I don't want to :mrgreen:
In Nepenthes x hookeriana i notice that the fluid is very thick iven after the opening the pitchers. Look like slime... :mrgreen:
By bombsboy
dimtar i would like you to post more pictures of your nepenthes! :D

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!