FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By erikHIplants
Shadowtski wrote:
erikHIplants wrote:What's the best way to determine if they're ripe?
The tip of the seed pod starts to break open, sort of like a Tulip flower opening.

When I see that, I hold an envelope or some available container under it and I cut the seed pod off of the flower stalk with a tiny pair of cuticle scissors. The whole seed pod falls into the envelope where I let it dry for a week or two. Squeeze the envelope and the seed pod breaks open. Pour the envelope through a screen or a kitchen flour sifter. This removes debris and chaff and floral parts from your seeds.

Good growing,
Mike
Thanks, I started cutting a few pods that looked like semi open tulips and seeds fell out into the envelope.
By KategoricalKarnivore
Today I sowed some seeds. D. Burmannii, D. Spatulata, And D. Dielsiana.
By boarderlib
I found out some of my leave floatings were forming plantlets, so I got to pot up some wideleaf x big pink plantlets. Last night I seen a plantlet forming on my big pink x wideleaf cutting too, so I'll be putting that one up tonight or tomorrow maybe.

I also fed my Heli's and drosera seedlings I have that recently germinated.

Then I spent a lot of time just gazing at my Heli minor flower that is almost to the top of my tank now. The color of the stalk has me amazed. It's the most intense red I've seen yet.

http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 30434.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/board ... 31990.html
By Aozora
was doing some maintenance on my terrarium today and noticed some tiny green dots, when i took a closer look there were serval dozen of them. im afraid one of the seed pods from my D.capensis released its seeds before i removed the pods, i'll be going to have a hard time removing them now :p
By Aozora
went to the garden center to get some soil for some of my non-carnivorous plant, but came back with a bag of soil, 2 plants and a bag of LFSM :P

was suprised to find that moss, its always the regular sheet moss which they sell as christmas decoration, but this time i saw a box hiding in a corner which was filled with sphagnum! :D. as expected 90% of the moss was dead and brown, but i managed to fill quite the container with the left over green moss (i also found some kind of drosera hibernacula inside the bag, no idea what it is but i'll find out soon enough). so now im the proud owner of 3 different kind of sphagnum mosses.

also sown a few B.Liniflora seeds, used a bleach treatment on them so i hope i did it right (was the first time i did it). they went from black to a more light brown/grey ish color, that should be good right?
By Fishman
Aozora wrote: also sown a few B.Liniflora seeds, used a bleach treatment on them so i hope i did it right (was the first time i did it). they went from black to a more light brown/grey ish color, that should be good right?
That should be good enough. As long as some of the outer shell has been dissolved some (or thinned down), it should be good to go. In fact, i've had some byblis seeds germinate without any treatment at all.
By Aozora
Fishman wrote:
Aozora wrote: also sown a few B.Liniflora seeds, used a bleach treatment on them so i hope i did it right (was the first time i did it). they went from black to a more light brown/grey ish color, that should be good right?
That should be good enough. As long as some of the outer shell has been dissolved some (or thinned down), it should be good to go. In fact, i've had some byblis seeds germinate without any treatment at all.
Thats great, cant wait for it to germinate. And without treatment i heard it can take up to one year to see some green :p
By Fishman
Aozora wrote:
Fishman wrote:
Thats great, cant wait for it to germinate. And without treatment i heard it can take up to one year to see some green :p
I think its a gamble. I wasnt willing to chance waiting that long. Similar to Drosophyllum wait times. Ive had them in soil for 3 months now. Nothing yet, still...
By Goodkoalie
Today, I am finally getting my plants back. After a move, I had to let someone watch them while I got settled. This led to the plants getting overgrown and neglected. I was able to bring a few trays back home, repot them, and clean them up.
Atlanta Georgia Meetup

Supply the air fare and lodging and I will be ther[…]

Here's the one seedling that I managed to get grow[…]

What’s happening

Btw, if you seed a flower stalk suddenly start sho[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

SASE sent, whoops, time got away from me there

Another eBay Deal

This will be interesting to see how it turns out, […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!