FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about terrariums, mini bogs, greenhouses and other growing environments

Moderator: Matt

By weaver
I have been meaning to create this thread to show everyone how everything ended up with the grow rack I was wanting to construct. I bought the Trinity NSF heavy-duty shelving system. I decided to post some pictures of the finished product! (Matt, let me know if the pictures are too big or if there are too many pictures)

I have three mini clip fans on the far right on 3 of the four levels I use. I also use one thermometer/humidity monitor per level.

Starting with the top shelf, I used two Lights of America fixtures that each use two T8 bulbs (so 4 total for that shelf).

One shelf down I have the T5 Badboy light fixture that uses a mix of 2 3000 & 6500 54wt lights.

Last edited by weaver on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
weaver liked this
By weaver

Going down yet another level, I used two Lights of America fixtures that each use two T8 bulbs (so 4 total for that shelf)...again. I have some of my bog gardens and bigger pots on this level. For the Sarracenia lovers, I do realize that they are a bit spindly and I do not plan to keep them there much longer before I move them outside.

My Cobra Plants do not look like they are doing very well :-(...I had them under the T5 lights, and I thought they might have burned their bulbous head. Now they are under T8 cool white lights!

The bottom-most shelf has my two terrariums. The farthest left only has my Heliamphoras, which have a mister to control the humidity levels. The right terrarium has some cephalotus and drosera regias. I have two four T5 lights and a small LED light.

Just some of my supplies and gardening utensils! I use the "Exo Terra Monsoon RS400 High Pressure Rainfall Rainforest Humidifier". I got it from a friend for a pretty cheap price!
By weaver
BearZerkerr wrote:Wow impressive variety of CPs. I love seeing wire rack setups. I'm tempted to make one myself, I'll definitely use your setup as a reference if you don't mind. lol
I don't mind at all! I believe Matt uses that same grow rack. I definitely recommend it!
By Matt
weaver wrote:Matt, let me know if the pictures are too big or if there are too many pictures
Not at all! Thanks for taking the time to share them. Impressive set up. It reminds me of the grow racks we have here :)
weaver wrote:
BearZerkerr wrote:Wow impressive variety of CPs. I love seeing wire rack setups. I'm tempted to make one myself, I'll definitely use your setup as a reference if you don't mind. lol
I don't mind at all! I believe Matt uses that same grow rack. I definitely recommend it!
Yes indeed! The set up looks almost identical to the racks we use for tissue culture vessels and for hardening plants out of tissue culture until they're ready for greenhouse life.
Matt liked this
By weaver
tish wrote:Very nice setup and nice variety of cps!

Wish I had space and approval for display like this!
Thanks tish! I can definitely know what you mean by space. Luckily I am moving to a larger place soon that can accommodate this and possibly another grow rack in the future!
By tish
weaver wrote:
tish wrote:Very nice setup and nice variety of cps!

Wish I had space and approval for display like this!
Thanks tish! I can definitely know what you mean by space. Luckily I am moving to a larger place soon that can accommodate this and possibly another grow rack in the future!
I show my missus and she just warned me.. "Don't even think about it....."

Facepalm... :cry:
By weaver
thatguymike wrote:How do you feed them and what do u feed them?
You don't have to feed them, but I do occasionally since they are inside and don't get as many bugs as when they were outside. I usually go to Petco and buy mealworms, which are typically sold for reptiles, fish, etc. The nice thing about mealworms is that they sell them in these little tubs that you can refrigerate (which puts them into a deep sleep so you can keep them longer). I have a pair of tweezers I use to grab the mealworms out of their tub and just drop them into a trap that can accomodate them! The only negative thing is that mealworms can be too big for the smaller cultivar's traps, but you can cut them in half so that they fit inside the trap...sorry if that sounds heartless 8-) :twisted:
By tish
Argh Matt you're so mean laughing at me, its a torture to desperately wanting to do something within your reach but was rejected... :cry:

I've been looking at the setup and had plenty of ideas just keep pooping into my head. This is because I already have a nice shelf I could turn into a plant setup. But it was disapproved..... :(

The one I had from Ikea is the same as the one in the photo, without the smaller segment. Probably I should quickly set it up 1 day and quietly pretend nothing has happen, until someone finds out :lol:

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!