FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By riveraXVX
finally got around to getting some seeds ready and packed up in our lil germination station 9 days from laying down seed to germination!

currently germinating:
D. capensis "Wide Leaf" (FTS seed bank) [planted 2017-09-17]
D. Sessilifolia (giveaway from KategoricalKarnivore) [planted 2017-09-17]
D. Intermedia (harvested 2017-09-14) [planted 2017-09-17]

we unfortunately forgot to mark the sections of the container where we put down the seeds of each time (we sectioned it into 3rds) one side has the most but a couple small growth in the other sections also so looks like a decent lil number thusfar!

I didn't think to take photos of the setup while we did it but will detail what we did once I have a little more time! but two small (7"x4" or so leftover containers) from the thrift store for 50 cents a piece, drilled a ton of 1/4" holes into one container along the bottoms and sides and filled it with LFSM I cut into small pieces. then she carefully sprinkled seeds across the areas we were planting in while i blocked of the others, rinse cycle repeat for the 3 types we planted filled the bottom with distilled water to just slightly under the flooding point for inner container then have just sat that in our S/SE facing kitchen table window misting it daily and also removing the top by about 2-2" for an hour or two per day to let some air circulate.
By riveraXVX
so we counted about 14 little sprouts sticking up out of the medium I was taking photos of another plant for a user here and thought welp might as well try these with my lighting setup... I actually had worried last night that all of them died because I couldn't find them with my magnifying glass then last night discovered once in better lighting oh they are still there my visions just...sucks!

I didn't realize just how bad my vision sucked until looking at the photos 1:1 in lightroom.

can clearly see the seeds even in detail, there is green life just spread throughout the whole germination chamber!!

By riveraXVX
things seem to still be going well! lil seedlings in all three sections of the growing chamber popping up left and right a few photos, as I still can not fully identify which any of the three are (they are so tiny!)

there are D. Intermedia, Sessilifolia, and Capensis 'Wide Leaf' but forgot to label which is which and until they get bigger I shall continue waiting haha
some macro shots:
seedlings A including a perspective shot:

seedlings B:

and lastly
seedlings....C?:

and a bonus, here is a photo of these tiny lil dead flowers:
By KategoricalKarnivore
This is what the sessilifolia will look like.
Attachments:
992D468D-CD5C-45C2-927E-DA5ACA73FD71.jpeg
992D468D-CD5C-45C2-927E-DA5ACA73FD71.jpeg (564.78 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
4E5F6BC1-2465-4FBA-A94E-AA65031A8E40.jpeg
4E5F6BC1-2465-4FBA-A94E-AA65031A8E40.jpeg (280.66 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
By riveraXVX
those might end up being what the B photos end up looking like hard to tell they are so tiny (I couldnt see them with my old eyes haha) barely see them with the magnifying glass if not for the camera I might not have spotted them at all!
By KategoricalKarnivore
It looks like to me that seedlings A are the sessilifolia. You can see what look like snap tentacles on them. The intermedia and capensis don’t have snap tentacles. But...the petioles should be wider unless they aren’t getting enough light. What type of light are you using on them?
By riveraXVX
KategoricalKarnivore wrote:It looks like to me that seedlings A are the sessilifolia. You can see what look like snap tentacles on them. The intermedia and capensis don’t have snap tentacles. But...the petioles should be wider unless they aren’t getting enough light. What type of light are you using on them?
they are just being grown in a south to southeastern facing window I do think the cover being used is filtering more light than it should should I just now thought of (its a clear green lid) I'll find something clear to let some more light in
By KategoricalKarnivore
Saran Wrap works well. I usually just remove any humidity dome when I see the plants have a couple true leaves. I may loose a few more from the shock but I don’t have the patience to slowly acclimate them so it’s survival of the fittest in my house.
By riveraXVX
figure if I mist them randomly they should be fine also I may just partially saran wrap it for now give it some more room to breath/more light
By riveraXVX
so it has been a little bit over a week since i just removed the lid all together and the plants seem to have identified themselves now.

the first plants the dew is changing over to red also, can say for sure the first are the Capensis, and the 2nd are the Sessilifolia

the Capensis grew a decent amount in that short week - should have taken a scale photo. the areas of the leaf with dew have elongated on most of them and a lot of the dew is turning a nice red!

the 2nd plants which I now believe to be the Sessifolia have pretty distinct snap tentacles now they almost look like they are cocked back ready to fire

the mystery grass/weed has been plucked and I now realize idiotically why there are no Intermedia (no cold stratification of the seeds!) I kind of just threw them in there last minute without thinking about it. did just till a couple 2" square pots with LFSM and sprinkled some more of the seeds on those, which are now bagged and tossed in the fridge. I'll probably just try setting the growing chamber out on the porch for the winter once the other seedlings are transplanted out of it and see if they sprout up on their own this spring

what I now believe to be the Capensis 'Wide Leaf'

the much smaller Sessifolia (these lil plants are maybe 1/4 the size of the other seedlings and took longer to sprout I'd say the first seedlings got a good 2-3 week headstart on these.
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!