FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Benurmanii
So about a month or so ago I noticed that there was some sort of oily substance on the top of the water in some new water trays I got. I haven't thought much of it, since the plants have been growing in those trays for about two months now, and I haven't seen any ill effects (in these trays, I am growing plants that may be considered more sensitive, i.e. Pings, Byblis). I also have noticed recently that when the water dries out in these trays, there is some sort of waxy crust. Is this any cause for alarm? I would hate to have to change out the trays since I have so many plants in them, but if it seems that this could cause damage, I would remove my plants right away.

I also have been noticing some yellow substance on the top of the water in these same trays, but I have assumed it to be the pollen of my ever-blooming P. primuliflora.
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (659.03 KiB) Viewed 3233 times
By Benurmanii
nimbulan wrote:I would guess it's some chemical left over from the manufacturing process. If the plants don't care, then I wouldn't either.
It doesn't affect TDS (which I guess makes sense). Guess I'll stop worrying, been a stressful day so these little things can become more worrisome :? It seems to break down on its own, as I saw the substance in the first tray I used a few weeks after filling it with water, but as of late I haven't seen the substance.
By roarke
I don't think it is from the plastic manufacturing, as i encounter this after more months after i bought some trays. Either you have spores/mold in the air/other surfaces, insects die in the water and leave residue or the rain water has something. I don't know anything about a crust forming. White crusts form if you have minerals/salt.
Code: Select all
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/mold-spots-on-tray-with-distiled-water-removal-t23620.html?hilit=water
By Benurmanii
roarke wrote:I don't think it is from the plastic manufacturing, as i encounter this after more months after i bought some trays. Either you have spores/mold in the air/other surfaces, insects die in the water and leave residue or the rain water has something. I don't know anything about a crust forming. White crusts form if you have minerals/salt.
Code: Select all
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/mold-spots-on-tray-with-distiled-water-removal-t23620.html?hilit=water
It is not mineral residue, as the tds read below 40, usually around 20 (I water with tap that is around 14-20 ppm).
By xr280xr
Benurmanii wrote: It is not mineral residue, as the tds read below 40, usually around 20 (I water with tap that is around 14-20 ppm).
I think that's enough to leave a build-up over time. My home RO water is around 35 and it leaves residue in drinking glasses if I let it evaporate.
By Benurmanii
xr280xr wrote:
Benurmanii wrote: It is not mineral residue, as the tds read below 40, usually around 20 (I water with tap that is around 14-20 ppm).
I think that's enough to leave a build-up over time. My home RO water is around 35 and it leaves residue in drinking glasses if I let it evaporate.
It will likely leave buildup over time, but it would take a very long time. I have only been using the trays for a couple months. When I run water through my plants, the tds rarely reads above 30 or 40 ppm. Is your water fluoridated? Our water is mountain runoff, with nothing added.
By xr280xr
Benurmanii wrote:When I run water through my plants, the tds rarely reads above 30 or 40 ppm. Is your water fluoridated? Our water is mountain runoff, with nothing added.
The tap water is so a component of my RO's 35 ppm could be fluoride.
By Adelaide
Its pretty common for planted aquariums to have a bit of protein float to the top of the water (it looks like a small oil spill - rainbowy). The proteins come from the plants and are harmless to both the fish and plants.

My guess is that you are seeing a bit of protein residue since you described it as oily and waxy. But it could also just be water spots. I don't think there is any cause for alarm.
Adelaide liked this
By xr280xr
Adelaide wrote:My guess is that you are seeing a bit of protein residue since you described it as oily and waxy. But it could also just be water spots. I don't think there is any cause for alarm.
I've seen this on top of my rain run-off. It has some mint leaves hanging in it so I just thought it was oils from the leaves or something from the mosquito dunks.
xr280xr liked this
By roarke
Adelaide wrote:Its pretty common for planted aquariums to have a bit of protein float to the top of the water (it looks like a small oil spill - rainbowy). The proteins come from the plants and are harmless to both the fish and plants.

My guess is that you are seeing a bit of protein residue since you described it as oily and waxy. But it could also just be water spots. I don't think there is any cause for alarm.
Yes, like a rainbow. I wonder what it will look like if i will put some under a 100X microscope ? I have to find some rainbow water than, again ... :D
Basal shoots cutting questions

Awesome thank you so much

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!