FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Sander
Yes :)

its as easy as that.
I had them fully submerged, and the sucses rate depends mostly on the quality of the pulling.

But with this method, and good pullings, 90% is possible :D
Sander liked this
By happiness
has anyone been successful using sunlight instead of using a bulb?
By tish
Sunlight producing temperature up to about 34°c has killed my pulling in distill water. I'm not sure what I did wrong as it was my first attempt. All my other pulling in lfs has 80% strike rate.

Fingered from my Galaxy Nexus
By AndyB
has anyone tried slicing a cutting long ways down the leaf to try and produce 2 or more cuttings from 1 leaf? would it die off too quickly?
By happiness
Isn't this the same thing as doing tissue culture in a vile and growing it? What's the difference?
By Lee
Tissue culture uses growth hormones on an agar media but in water it is just water but it doesn't grow as fast

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk 2
By pieguy159
Is water propagation faster than soil propagation??
By Vern
pieguy159 wrote:Is water propagation faster than soil propagation??
Some people have founded it faster.

But I lost patience and so I just stuck it in one of my pots and forgot about it until it struck.

Kinda like the out of the sight out of mind -oh! Look it worked! That was quick. (even though it took all summer and popped out of the soil in September)
By Vern
stubbingsj wrote:Would this work for a Sarr, like S. Minor? Would you trim off most of the pitcher to fit it in a jar? (leaving the rhizome intact) :?
Do regular pullings work? If they do, then it might be fun experiment.
By Alvin 415
I just read this post for the first time. Great post! I'm inspired to try this soon.

Question: Did anyone disinfect the mother plant in bleach and H2O solution before pulling/cutting?

The guide emphasizes cleaning the containers and using water from a sealed bottle. But unless I missed something, it looks like dropping "dirty" cuttings into the water is totally fine? If so, that's one less step to worry about in the process.
By katya_dog1
Don't worry about that. I have had 100% success with VFTs just using Ziploc baggies with rainwater in them.
katya_dog1 liked this
By Sander
Well, i have some cuttings in just unpurified rain water in uncleaned plastic(i would clean plastic that has been used for food or ea.) pots and they are doing just perfect (prolifera cuttings, so not even the easiest of species).
Sander liked this
By tish
Sander wrote:Well, i have some cuttings in just unpurified rain water in uncleaned plastic(i would clean plastic that has been used for food or ea.) pots and they are doing just perfect (prolifera cuttings, so not even the easiest of species).
Ok, this is import information for me, because I will be getting a prolifera soon and I might want to take some cuttings incase the plant do not stabilize in my rack . Did you try leaf cutting in water with schizandra?
By bugfood
How long can you leave the pullings that have struck in the water if you don't want to plant them right away? Have you had any strike then die before you removed them or can they stay submerged for months after striking?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, I just wanted your thoughts on Dionaea m.[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!