FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Adam
... just a word of advice to anyone trying this. Make sure that the seeds are not next to one another. The new roots dig into anything nearby, including other seeds - whether those have germinated or not. It's not easy to separate them once they've got a hold of one another!

UPDATE: I've planted the 1st 3 seeds that germinated today. They were showing enough of their leaves that I was comfortable in planting them with the rest of the seedlings. One has sprouted with red leaves! I'm also planting them in sand-peat mix - no LFS. I don't want them growing in the slime that seems to grow on the moss.

I'll probably be transplanting another 5 in the next couple of days..

Adam
Adam liked this
By linton
Good work Adam. It's interesting to see how some seedlings carry the pigmentation from the parent plants, I recently sowed 50 mixed Dionaea seeds and got one that is very yellow in color compared to the rest of the seedlings - it is growing well, so not a sick color yellow. Keep us posted on your results.
By Carl
Hi Adam, Thanks for the info. I've never tried germination in just water before but I think I'll give it a go next year :D
By Adam
UPDATE: wow.. everything is germinating! Pure water so far has been the fastest for me. 2 weeks!
By Adam
This is just for some of the seeds. I wish I kept a diary as to when I put the original bunch in.
By Adam
here's a photo of the little guys germinating in nothing more than a lot of light and distilled water:
IMG_4012.JPG
IMG_4012.JPG (16.85 KiB) Viewed 9587 times
You can see one of them is germinating with red leaves! It's on the middle right in the picture.

Adam
By Matt
Wow! That's so cool! I hope that one of them in the packet I bought from Steve has red coloration. They're all destined for tissue culture this morning!

By the way Adam, what do you use for taking photographs? Your macro shots turn out awesome.
By Adam
You won't believe when I tell you. It's an old 4 megapixel Canon PowerShot SD300 DIGITAL ELPH pocket camera!! I got it 3-4 years ago now.. can't remember.

You could probably buy one of those for $25 on craig's list.

Adam
By WORMSS
lol, your camera is built to last it seems :D

Not played around with Macro settings that much on my new camera yet [Sony H50] just hope its half as good :D
By Matt
adymitruk wrote:You won't believe when I tell you. It's an old 4 megapixel Canon PowerShot SD300 DIGITAL ELPH pocket camera!!
That's great Adam! I too have an ELPH, but it's an SD500. Actually most of the photos on the site were taken with that camera. I've always been impressed with the quality of macro shots that it takes, but I just upgraded to an SLR this past summer. I love it.
By lemonlily
Is it better in water or in moss?
By linton
According to Adam, germination in water seems a lot faster, but the tiny seedlings still have to be transferred from the water to moss to grow out.
By Adam
I'll leave one seedling in water to see how long it lasts in there. This should give us a good estimate of the window of time that one has to transfer.

Adam
By lemonlily
Do seeds need sunlight too?
By Adam
Seeds probably need warmth and not light as they will germinate, then breakthrough some dirt to get the light. My artificial light provides heat and light, so not sure how germination would go without light. The tissue curture germination is usually done in some dark mix and still germinate.
N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!