FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Veronis
With flytraps there are several ways it can go dormant. In all case the traps may stay open (more common in controlled environments like indoors and in greenhouses) or most/all of the traps may go closed (more common if they are kept outdoors). Mine are kept outdoors.

Also in most cases, the traps created as they are entering dormancy are typically 1) smaller, 2) may have more vivid coloring, and 3) are much slower-growing.

Note that all of the pictures below were taken AFTER the plants were trimmed of all dead traps (which I did today). This was at least 30 dead traps per pot.

Cross-link: For before-trimming pictures of the dormant plants below, go here: http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/viewt ... f=3&t=2973

1. Lower-to-the-ground growth: Traps will grow with short, stubby leaves and will lie much closer to the ground than they did during summer.
IMG_0404.jpg
IMG_0404.jpg (110.69 KiB) Viewed 8768 times
2. Spindly growth: Traps continue to grow with longer leaves, but in this case especially the traps are likely to be much smaller than their summer traps.
IMG_0406.jpg
IMG_0406.jpg (104.01 KiB) Viewed 8768 times
3. High trap death: Most traps die, leaving only minimal traps on the plant. It's ugly, but these plants are fine.
IMG_0405.jpg
IMG_0405.jpg (107.58 KiB) Viewed 8768 times
Veronis, Veronis, Veronis and 3 others liked this
By JimsPlants
Ive noticed all three of those different symptoms happening to mine but on different plants.
But still some of them have not changed at all.

And your plants are looking fantastic still, the colouring on that 1st photo is similar to some of mine in an almost patchy red stain.

looks like there all pretty much closed up for this year though.
By moof
Nice photos. I had plants that were dormant without any leaves (all died off) too. They started normal growth in the spring
By afh928
Yeah, good stuff man! :mrgreen:
By twigs
I am trying to induce dormancy by photoperoid alone (well, the indoor temperatures certainly are lower than what they had outside during the summer/early fall, but they don't get any lower temperatures than room temp). Some of my plants are showing spindly growth, and others (most of my plants) are making low, wide leaves. I have done incremental trimming (every couple of days) so I don't know exactly how much of each plant has died but it has been significant.

How do I tell the difference between actual dormancy and what they would normally look like under reduced light situations? I am really trying to go with photoperoid only dormancy, but if they aren't in dormancy for sure by December, I am going to have to figure something else out.
By moof
"Photoperiod dormancy" will propably kill your plants. And the way they look now is the way light-starved plants look. They're not dormant if you keep them in such temperatures. If you want to skip the temperature, try to light them MORE instead. Now you're going in the wrong direction
By dionaea muscipula
wow thanks Veronis thats just awesome man just awesome!
By kevinqwe
im probably only getting like 1/3.
thanks
By Pickles6
My VFTis just growing little traps, like you said.
By kittyklaws
Thanks! very helpful! :D
By wiki234
is this the signs of if its going dormant because i need to know how you can tell if its about to go dormant?
Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!