FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Rah420
Hi everyone! I'm new here. My roommate just gave me a venus fly trap as a present and I have everything I need to take care of it! What i'm not sure about is what's the best way to care for it during winter? I live in an apartment in southern Ontario and temperatures here are below freezing (sometimes reaching -20 or lower) almost all winter long, so putting it outside isn't an option. The best I can think of is a window sill, but my windows are above my heaters. It might be cool enough because my building management is cheap and the heat isn't high at all. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. Also, is this usually the time of year when they start to go dormant? Thanks in advance!
By Rammplins
Welcome! Im in an apartment too. I usually put up a sheet of plastic over the windows in the winter because they are super drafty, also it helps lower the heating bill. Once the plastic is up it usually stays fairly cold between the plastic and glass (my windows are above heaters too) And I'm thinking that this would be perfect for them. Once winter comes a little harder I will put up the plastic and test what the temps are like, if it doesn't get cold enough I guess we are stuck with fridge dormancy
By Rah420
Rammplins wrote:Welcome! Im in an apartment too. I usually put up a sheet of plastic over the windows in the winter because they are super drafty, also it helps lower the heating bill. Once the plastic is up it usually stays fairly cold between the plastic and glass (my windows are above heaters too) And I'm thinking that this would be perfect for them. Once winter comes a little harder I will put up the plastic and test what the temps are like, if it doesn't get cold enough I guess we are stuck with fridge dormancy
Thank you so much for your response! Just wanna make sure i understand, do you put the plastic directly on the window and then just put the plants on the window sill? My windows tend to be drafty too so that just might work if I'm understanding it right :)
By Rammplins
No problem, my windows sit back quite a bit from the windowsill and boarder. So I just cover the boarder with the plastic, creating a small 6-7 inch pocket of air between the glass and plastic. I hold it up using blue painters tape, strong enough to hold, but can easily peel it back or remove it. Also it leaves no residue, I want my deposit back eventually.
By Rah420
Lol thank you! Just one more question, what kind of plastic do you use? Is it just plastic wrap? Sadly, My windows don't sit very far back from the windowsill, I have maybe 4 inches of space to work with, possibly less. A small pot will fit on it nicely though! I'm getting a really big kick out of this plant and I want to make sure it stays healthy!
By Rammplins
I cant remember the brand or size, but I might still have the bag at home, ill let you know later when I get off work. But I bought roll of large clear vinyl plastic sheet for 10$ and just cut it to size.

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!