FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By taylerhill
Hello everyone! It's been a while since I've posted here about my VFT's! I just recently got two new ones, Wally and Purple Ambush, which are doing great. I also have two others, King Henry and Sawtooth, that I've had for about a year and two years. This september we had a baby and he came 3 weeks early so we weren't prepared and my VFT's were very neglected for a while. I totally forgot about them sitting outside in the heat and they almost died from lack of water, but I brought them inside and picked back up on the watering and they are now coming back great. A couple of questions about them.
First - do they look dormant? I've been keeping them in my kitchen windowsill against the glass in hopes that they would stay cool enough to go dormant, but I think it's too warm inside. Next winter I will have a better dormancy set up in a shed outside.
Second - I'm planning on repotting the King Henry this spring, should I divide it or leave it? It looks to me like it has at least 3 different growing points. Also I'm planning on potting it in a glazed ceramic pot that has a drainage hole. Will that pot provide good enough insulation for the plant to be outside in the sun, or will it get too hot?
Sawtooth
Sawtooth
15966248_10208704763311623_3337629133041018066_n.jpg (82.17 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
King Henry
King Henry
16114399_10208704763471627_8636904128253381542_n.jpg (86.22 KiB) Viewed 1344 times
By Matt
taylerhill wrote:First - do they look dormant?
They both look fairly dormant. You're not supplementing their light, right? If they're getting nothing but sunlight, they should get enough of a dormancy.
taylerhill wrote:Second - I'm planning on repotting the King Henry this spring, should I divide it or leave it?
The moss is looking a bit packed down and there is some carpet moss growing on top. I'd go ahead and repot.
taylerhill wrote:Also I'm planning on potting it in a glazed ceramic pot that has a drainage hole. Will that pot provide good enough insulation for the plant to be outside in the sun, or will it get too hot?
A glazed ceramic pot will be totally fine to put in full sun.
Matt liked this
By taylerhill
Matt wrote: They both look fairly dormant. You're not supplementing their light, right? If they're getting nothing but sunlight, they should get enough of a dormancy.
Thank you! Correct, they only get sunlight. And I keep them behind the window curtain at night so they don't get house lighting and they stay cooler that way.
By Matt
taylerhill wrote:Thank you! Correct, they only get sunlight. And I keep them behind the window curtain at night so they don't get house lighting and they stay cooler that way.
That's perfect. Flytraps need a rest period, but it doesn't have to be too long or too cold. And as long as they're receiving natural sunlight, they should get sufficient rest.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!