FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By chevyguy8893
tish wrote:They look great! I think they are bigger than mine now even though we sow about the same time in aug i think.
The ones that I left in the original container that I germinated them in are half the size of the ones I isolated. They get fed the same, same amount of light, and get watered similarly, but the ones in the germination container are in a peat based mix. It is neat seeing the differences in growth between different medias.
By chevyguy8893
All of the seedlings have been growing well. The FTS seedlings I originally isolated have been getting relatively large. I'm glad they are at this point now since it makes it much easier to feed them. Unfortunately, I lost one of the red flytraps that had germinated from the eBay seed group. I don't have any idea of why it died, but the other red seedling is still doing well. The following photos are just of the isolated FTS seedlings that germinated back in September.

ImageDSC_0514 by chevyguy8893, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0522. by chevyguy8893, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0519. by chevyguy8893, on Flickr
By chevyguy8893
Matt wrote:Wow, impressive growth! Those look like they could be seriously large flytraps when they mature :)
I am certainly hoping for some large traps from these when they mature :). The other seeds from the batch are, at the most, half the size of the biggest one. It will be nice to see what they become when they get acclimated to the sun next year.
By katya_dog1
I just lost ten of mine. :cry: LFS is just not working for me for seedlings, even though the sphagnum is milled.

Yours look great though! :) Thankfully I did not lose my red seedling, but I did lose my biggest. Oh well.
katya_dog1 liked this
By chevyguy8893
katya_dog1 wrote:I just lost ten of mine. :cry: LFS is just not working for me for seedlings, even though the sphagnum is milled.

Yours look great though! :) Thankfully I did not lose my red seedling, but I did lose my biggest. Oh well.
Sorry to hear that you lost that many :(. At least the red one did make it though since it looks like a nice one (then again, all of yours are looking nice).

That is surprising that the LFSM did not work out for you. I'm backwards though since I cannot seem to grow my VFTs well in peat based media for whatever reason.
chevyguy8893 liked this
By katya_dog1
They grow slow in peat, that is for sure, but the peat wicks up water like a sponge. There is always water for the shallow seedling roots.

Regardless, though, I will just order some more seeds. I really want some more seedlings.
Luckily, though, my biggest is returning! Even though the leaves died, it is putting up new, bigger ones so I think the feeding was worthwhile.
By chevyguy8893
As an experiment and a lack of space to plant out VFT seedlings, I went ahead and planted four of the FTS seedlings in one of my live Sphagnum containers. It is constantly kept very wet, but gets a lot of light. One of the seedlings was planted on a higher point in the moss, one down low and surrounded by moss, and the other two are in low points that still get a lot of light but they are very close to being submerged. I actually moved them a little over a week ago. The black traps in one of the photos were already there when I moved them. I will continue feeding them when their traps are open after the previous feeding (generally one week between feedings).

The container they are in.
ImageIMG_6251 by chevyguy8893, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6247 by chevyguy8893, on Flickr

This one is close to submerged when the container is filled with water.
ImageIMG_6245 by chevyguy8893, on Flickr

The one seedling that is planted at a high point.
ImageIMG_6243 by chevyguy8893, on Flickr

Finally, the seedling that is surrounded by moss.
ImageDSC_0584 by chevyguy8893, on Flickr
chevyguy8893 liked this
By katya_dog1
Nice sphag culture!
katya_dog1 liked this
By chevyguy8893
tish wrote:Im interested to know how the fly trap are in live sphagnum. Do update us! ;)

Sent from my SM-N9005
I will definitely update the progress with those at some point. I also have an adult plant in 2/3rds dried LFSM and 1/3rd live Sphagnum that I planted a couple weeks before these to try out as well. That one didn't fit with this thread though. It also gets far more water than what is considered normal for VFT's, essentially it is enough water to support the Sphagnum growth without the tips browning or drying out.
By chevyguy8893
In regards to the VFT seedlings I planted in the live Sphagnum moss, they are still coming along well. One downside to it is the moss grows much faster than the flytraps, so I have to check every so often to make sure the moss hasn't buried them (which seems to happen after a week). The one that I placed on top of the moss does stay on top as the moss grows upwards.

Not quite related to the thread, but I also found that the dried LFSM is growing live moss now in two of my VFT containers :). It started a while back, but I wasn't sure if it was Sphagnum or not. Anyway, I took photos of the seedlings before feeding them all tomorrow.

I added the dime again for a size reference.
ImageDSC_0329. by chevyguy8893, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0332. by chevyguy8893, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0336. by chevyguy8893, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0338. by chevyguy8893, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0340 by chevyguy8893, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0345 by chevyguy8893, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0352. by chevyguy8893, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0353. by chevyguy8893, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0349 by chevyguy8893, on Flickr

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!