FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Rick-C137
Hello everybody, this is Rick-C137.

My grandson bought me a Venus Fly Trap a few months ago, it started off small, weak and pathetic but now thanks to me feeding it every single bug and worthless crawler in my home...its been displaying dominance over the bug and insect domains and its grown into a fearsome force to be reckoned with in my kitchen! We are a great team.

I'm recently noticed a large shoot or stem coming out the middle, i've not given it much thought until the time where my grandson tied the shoot to a stick, it was growing horizontally over the plant and getting in the way and quite frankly he's done a good job of it. Good kid he is. Little rough around the edges but he means well.

I'm not sure what to do with the large growth...any advice is greatly appreciated.

Peace among worlds.

Rick C-137.
Attachments:
stalk.JPG
stalk.JPG (34.16 KiB) Viewed 4577 times
By hollyhock
Flytrap hunter gave you a good link..That is a flower stalk. I usually cut mine off as close to the plant as you can. If you plant the stalk you might get lucky and it will form new roots and you then will have a clone of your beautiful plant. :D
hollyhock liked this
By Rick-C137
This has been very informative.

I think i'll let the sprout transform into a flower, i'm quite happy with my carnivorous companion as is, I get to indulge in my sadistic tendencies in a healthy and legal manner now.

Peace among worlds, wabba labba dub dub!
By DesertPat
I don't like to let plants flower in the fall for the sole reason that dormancy is soon and I'd like them to have maximum energy. Everyone seems to have a different opinion so it's really up to you. Awesome looking plant by the way!

Patrick

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By riveraXVX
firstly: welcome!
secondly: that is a beautiful plant there, it seems to have done well under you and the grandkids care thusfar!
thirdly; enjoy it flowering!!
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!