FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Ratfus
Hello,

A few months ago, I posted about the new traps on my Venus-Fly trap turning black. Essentially, you could see the trap forming, but then it turned black.

I followed the advice of forum goers (really appreciate the help guys) and replaced my Moser lee sphagnum moss/sand mix with just New Zealand Spagnum moss. I also removed the rocks at the bottom of the pot. Before replanting, I rinsed the hell out of my roots with the correct water (distilled water with the metals removed from it). As expected, a few of the new traps forming turned black (probably a result of minerals still left in the plant). Then, a new trap grew fully, which got me excited.

Unfortunately, all the new traps growing, after that one fully developed, have started turning black as they grow again. Additionally, the fully developed trap is now turning black as well. I'm getting frustrated to the point, where I might just throw the plant out.

Could the height of the spagnum moss in the pot be causing some kind of rot, which is causing the traps to continue turning black? I usually wait until the moss is pretty dry (plant looks somewhat withered, when I rewater it-then it comes back again)
By Ratfus
Also, please note, this was after I removed some of the moss. Originally, the moss was about 1/2"-3/4" from the top of the pot (maybe a little closer).

As you can see, my plant is slowly declining.
Attachments:
Plant a.jpg
Plant a.jpg (947.32 KiB) Viewed 2896 times
Plant b.jpg
Plant b.jpg (857.02 KiB) Viewed 2896 times
By 510thebay
Ratfus wrote:Also, please note, this was after I removed some of the moss. Originally, the moss was about 1/2"-3/4" from the top of the pot (maybe a little closer).

As you can see, my plant is slowly declining.
ZzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZXZZXDZZZZZZZZZZXXZXZ5TH EZZZZZXZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZXXXXS

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
By saltyop
hope that was a mistake there, bay
is there any new growth on the plant? how much sunlight is it getting, can you just bullet point the basics of its conditions real quick
By twitterglitter
After reading your first post, I have to wonder if you let it dry out too much between waterings. It looks crispy around the edges to me. You want to keep the soil moist and never let it dry out completely. You should aim for your media to feel like a damp sponge you just squeezed excess water out of.

If you can provide the info saltyop asked for it will be a big help in figuring out what's wrong.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
By Ratfus
Your confusion is exactly why i'm confused/frustrated.

-The plant keeps growing new stems, which seem healthy, but then the traps turn black.

-I keep the plant outside all day long, so it probably gets 6-8 hours of sunlight/day (was told that more light=better).

-I water the plant, until I fill up the tray underneath, then wait for the top portion of the sphagnum moss to dry out. The bottom part, where the roots sit is still damp at this point. Then I re-water, which usually occurs 1-3x/week. Right now, the moss is damp, which is why it's turning green.

-It's the Red Dragon variety of flytrap, not sure that makes a difference though?
By saltyop
oh no problem bay, just wondering why all the zzzzzz were coming from. unfortunate letter for your phone to choose haha

stress might be a key factor for this happening, although I never heard of a flytrap reacting so badly to repotting.
by the way soaking the roots for half an hour or so might have been a better idea but its a little too late for that now, dont want you stressing it even more. your conditions seem perfect imo, may i ask of your hardniess zone? another thing that i see that deviates is that the plant is really low into its pot. How deep are the pot, cause flytraps like to root themselves deep, like a solid 8+ inches. Mosser lee sphagnum is pretty notorious but I never heard of it doing so much to an plant, mosser lee is just usually a really shitty moss and thats kinda it, no additive or whatever unless if you count the sticks and even branches lol. It might not look pretty for now, but if the rhizome, the white heart of the plant is firm and white it is going to live, so dont throw it out. It will recover with the conditions you have for now. my 2 cents

edit: wait holy crap bay i think you got it right it might just be sunburn. did you acclimate the plant to sunlight? if you didint the plant's heart would be somewhat okay but the leaves will die off. that could just be it lol. if you just stuck the plant outside with hours of direct sunlight without acclimating it it would look like that. Im going to guess that the reason why it looks so gory is cause its a akai ryu, and it looks more blackened. if it is the case where it wasnt acclimated to the sun, you can choose to leave it as is and have it get used to it faster with a higher chance of dying, or you can go from 30 mins to an hour of sunlight uptowards full day in the sun thorughout an week to an month. I guess its my 3 cents now lol
By riveraXVX
just for my own curiosity could you post a photo showing more of the pot it is planted in? (showing height/width/etc in the photo? does it have drainage holes? do you top water or tray water?
By Ratfus
-I did let the roots soak in water, before I re-potted the plant, then i dumped the water and let it sit in fresh water again, multiple times.

-My pot has a fairly large drainage hole in the bottom of it. I water it from the top

My only suspicion is that the sphagnum moss was too high on the plant and started to rot it.
Attachments:
Vft b.jpg
Vft b.jpg (806.57 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
Vft a.jpg
Vft a.jpg (810.11 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
By uusa2000
How long has it been since this repot? Give her more time to adjust. My red dragons are still showing signs of set backs from a while ago

Another thing I try with my red vfts is 1600 lumens 6500k cfl bulbs a few inches away. Its better than outside imo
Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk
By xr280xr
It looks like it's in barely any moss. Planting it in a full pot might help.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!