FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Fang
Is it normal, when beginning to exit dormancy, for new skinny little leaves to grow about an inch or so out with no trap on it? My little plant has been doing this for a couple weeks now. Not sure when it will grow more traps but at least it isn't dead (or doesn't appear to be in bad condition).
By jovenking
I live in a country with summer al year round and recently just started growing some akai ryu VFT from seeds so heres the question can the plant be trained not to go into dormancy? I mean since its grown from scratch it should be able to right? i know its sounds ridiculous but i have to ask!
By tommyr
jovenking wrote:I live in a country with summer al year round and recently just started growing some akai ryu VFT from seeds so heres the question can the plant be trained not to go into dormancy? I mean since its grown from scratch it should be able to right? i know its sounds ridiculous but i have to ask!
Can you be trained not to need sleep? As Matt said, no they NEED dormancy. Like we need sleep.
By tommyr
carniplanter wrote:Why is fridge dormancy bad?
It's not. I've been using that method for YEARS. Works perfectly.
tommyr liked this
By Fang
It seemed to work decently enough for me what little bit I did it last year. Just gotta know how to do it right I guess

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
By thenini
Okay, so I'm in Zone 6, northern Ohio. I've got a garage with big windows, though I'm not sure which way they face, and it doesn't matter since my pots are all too big to fit on windowsills. My garage is not only unheated, but it may be uninsulated as well... Will this be okay, so long as it shelters them from wind?
By tish
jovenking wrote:I live in a country with summer al year round and recently just started growing some akai ryu VFT from seeds so heres the question can the plant be trained not to go into dormancy? I mean since its grown from scratch it should be able to right? i know its sounds ridiculous but i have to ask!
You can only grow akai ryu from a diversion or clone or leaf pulling or flower cutting but not from seeds. :)
By tommyr
thenini wrote:Okay, so I'm in Zone 6, northern Ohio. I've got a garage with big windows, though I'm not sure which way they face, and it doesn't matter since my pots are all too big to fit on windowsills. My garage is not only unheated, but it may be uninsulated as well... Will this be okay, so long as it shelters them from wind?
As long as they don't freeze that should be good. Keep an eye on the temps in there.
By um_chili
This is a phenomenal thread. I share a lot of the confusion noob VFT owners have about dormancy, and reading through this cleared it all up.

Here's my plan for dormancy, and if anyone has comments or suggestions, that's great:

It's pretty simple: I live in Houston (hardiness zone 8b), so I'm inclined not to plan for anything special, but just to watch for signs of dormancy around November/December, and leave VFT outside during dormancy. During that time I'll keep the soil in the pot moist but avoid any standing water collecting in the tray or letting the soil grow wet. I won't feed the plant during this time. Then around March, I'll keep an eye out for emergence from dormancy, and when it happens, I'll resume the regimen I currently have VFT on.

Does this sound right? Thanks!
By tommyr
um_chili wrote:This is a phenomenal thread. I share a lot of the confusion noob VFT owners have about dormancy, and reading through this cleared it all up.

Here's my plan for dormancy, and if anyone has comments or suggestions, that's great:

It's pretty simple: I live in Houston (hardiness zone 8b), so I'm inclined not to plan for anything special, but just to watch for signs of dormancy around November/December, and leave VFT outside during dormancy. During that time I'll keep the soil in the pot moist but avoid any standing water collecting in the tray or letting the soil grow wet. I won't feed the plant during this time. Then around March, I'll keep an eye out for emergence from dormancy, and when it happens, I'll resume the regimen I currently have VFT on.

Does this sound right? Thanks!

Yup, sounds good!
tommyr liked this
By BrandonNass
I have some questions about mine and dormancy. I live in southwest Washington, so it will get below freezing at times this winter.

How do I know it has entered dormancy? Just when the leaves all turn black and shrivel? If I bring them inside at that time, will the fact that it is room temperature keep them from going dormant? How do I know when to put them outside again?
Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!