FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By vagabundos 91
i live in malaysia ,the most hot climate country in asian, at first time, i don,t think about the dormancy because i though they only "sleep" and not active in only cold weather and the flytrap don,t need to dormancy in hot climate country anyway ,and this isn,t nessecary in hot climate country. Can,t my plant live and grow for year without going a dormancy process ?
By dantt99
Dormancy is a must for Venus Fly Traps. They can survive without 1 year or so, but consecutive no dormant years will likely kill it. The most effective way to provide your plants dormancy in your climate is the fridge dormancy. You can learn about the fridge dormancy here.

If you have any other questions about the dormancy after reading that extensive article, please feel free to ask! :D
By Daniel_G
As Daniel has said,a FlyTrap without dormancy will have it's life cut short,dormancy ensures a long healthy life,you will have to skip dormancy this year as it's too late to start now,but fridge dormancy is the most likely form for you :)
By samw
I think that someone once said that in some hot countries, if the conditions are favourable all the time, then you can let it grow all year long and it divides so much that it doesn't die.
But check first, don't take my word for it.
By HarrisAz
sir,
im from Malaysia too.VFTs need dormancy or they'll die.VFTs can be out into dormancy at our country by fridge.when the growth slows down,it grows small trap, thats a sign of dormancy is near.

Good Luck
Harris
HarrisAz liked this
By Hurrikale
If Venus fly traps really do need dormancy in hot climates then how are they supposed to do so when the country is summer all year round? If it needed dormancy, why can't you place it in the fridge right away and have to wait for Winter? The plant does not know what time it is, so how are you supposed to know when to let it undergo dormancy period? Please don't just assume that Venus fly traps need dormancy because they do in their origin country. I don't think dormancy is a period for the plants to "sleep", the plants get dormant to survive the harsh winter. If there's no winter in Malaysia, why would they need it? Please explain.

Sent from my CPH1607 using Tapatalk

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Brushes For Pollination

I just use Q - tips and they work pretty well for […]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!