FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By SnapSnapIOM
After starting again on 13/08 this year i tried some vft seeds bought from a good store in the UK called Triffid Nurseries
i was told the seeds were from last year and were stored correctly etc i have bought plants from this store before and they have been great.

I will enter show pictures here first

I have no surface contamination but yet no germanation after 2 months growlights are on a 16 hour cycle temp is 86f-88f

I am not sure if my sterizling process have somehow killed them ?

i am using sodium hypochlorite 16.5% but couldnt figure out the maths lol for a 10%-20% solution ? i used to use the cheap 6% bleach from a local store but they dont sell it anymore.

Basically if a kind person could tell me if i use 250ml of water how much of this 16.5% bleach should i add in ml please?
also how long 6 mins ? 10 mins ?

I have always followed matts guide for TC with great success but this new stronger bleach has me confused lol

Anywho thanks for any advice

Andy
By cvlover
"Standard sterilization": 10 percent Clorox which makes a solution with ~ 0.5% sodium hypochlorite for 10 - 15 minutes.
To make 100 ml 0.5% sodium hypochlorite solution for example:
16.5 % => 0.5%
100ml solution of 5% => 100 x 0.5 / 16.5 = 3.03 ml
Measure 3ml of 16.5% sodium hypo. Add water to make 100ml solution. Use it to sterilize your seed for 10 - 15 minutes.
Make sure you get viable seeds. Good luck. :)
cvlover, cvlover liked this
By SnapSnapIOM
Great Clover thank you for you maths :)

Am thinking now i didnt use enough bleach as i made a bigger solution

I have always used my own seeds and got 100% success
Last edited by SnapSnapIOM on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
By cvlover
You mix 3ml of 16.5 % sodium hypochlorite with water to get 100ml of 0.5% sodium hypochlorite. Use this solution for seeds for about 15 minutes. Add few drops of tween 20 (or baby shampoo if you don't have tween) so solution can completely touch the surface of seeds and work in glove box (important). So far it works for most CPs seeds: Darlingtonia, Nepenthes, Dionaea, Drosera, and Sarracenia. Try a few seeds first if it doesn't work adjust time and concentration and try again. The most important, you should get fresh seeds from reliable sources such as FlytrapCare.
cvlover, cvlover liked this
By SnapSnapIOM
Yeah i have full TC setup been doing it a while but took a break and had to learn again lol

I sent a email to the store i bought the seeds saying i wasnt happy etc

yeah i have tween 20 always used it and hydrogen peroxide and 99% IPA

Like to ask you for small xplants what solution would you use ? Am missing some BAP atm hard to source in the UK

I always follow matts guide also i sent him a msg to see if he would ship to the Isle of Man

once again thats for your time

Andy
By cvlover
Some people successfully use PPM instead of sodium hypochlorite for CP explants because CP explants are sensitive to sodium hypochlorite. I did not try CP explants so I could not tell.
cvlover liked this
By 1cashew
Hey snapsnap!
It looks to me like your bleach is 1% hypochlorite and 16% table salt. I am wondering if that ratio of hypochlorite to sodium chloride which is more like 1:1 in Clorox has contributed to your lack of growth?
1cashew liked this
By SnapSnapIOM
geez cashew you are right o0 what the hell its says 1% SH i got hold of the cheap 1 ltr bottle of few days ago and that contain 5%
so if my bad maths is correct i might aswell use 10-20ml bleach for 10mins etc ?

Just to update i did a batch the other day and the seeds got contamination within 3 days so if defo not strong enough i got no contamination on the suface i know i have that 100% correct.

Going to go again today and use 10ml bleacj to 90 ml water for 10mins with my tween 20 then 3 x 3mins sterile water rinse.

thank you for notcing that cashew

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!