FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Rosekitten
Not sure if we have any chicken wire, or where to get any around here haha.. Moved states not long ago so still figuring out what stores have what in this area (bit of a shock in the differences even from the large companies from state to state).

One of my house mates has a growing station though that they used for their seeds to give them a head start for the garden.. I think that should work for these guys so that'll be set up tonight. Probably have to put some plastic forks or something in the pot itself as it will have to be on the floor for the light to be set up (floor station).

But if they don't seem to perk up after a few more days with the light and not being shuffled around I'll look into the other light. Thanks again for everyone's help. ^^ I have been looking to get into these plants for some time.
By nimbulan
It'll take more than a couple days to see the difference in coloration.

What do you mean by growing station? I wouldn't use any enclosed containers as it will cook your plants in the sun.
By Benurmanii
Rosekitten wrote:That seller I am more dissapointed in than anything as the plant was suppose to be a young adult and to me it looks like a scrawny strangler. Not even being big enough to keep gnats to itself.
It looks like you got your Drosera from Sarracenia Northwest. They are an extremely repitable seller; they sell top-notch plants. Drosera often do not get very big. What type species did you get? It is flowering, which means it is mature or at least close to being mature, so it may not get any bigger than it already.
By Rosekitten
Benurmanii wrote: It looks like you got your Drosera from Sarracenia Northwest. They are an extremely repitable seller; they sell top-notch plants. Drosera often do not get very big. What type species did you get? It is flowering, which means it is mature or at least close to being mature, so it may not get any bigger than it already.
It was some shop on Amazon called 9greenbox? They got good feedback so I figured it might be safe enough. The plant was packaged and shipped just as well as my other two from other sellers but it just seems really tiny compared to the other two plants and compared to the images the seller had posted up. Cape Sundew Plant - Drosera capensis is what the seller says the plant is

this was more of what I was expecting instead of the little one I got where there seemed to be a dead stalk on it and not being big enough to even compete with the gnats or drain flies around the area.

there is a better image of the plant I am trying to tend to and praying it'll make it to the next day every evening.. >.< It's not even forming the sticky traps on the ends as far as I can tell.

~~~~~

Also it's not an enclosed box for the growing station. It's a floor stand with a light system that can hove over the plants and pots. I'm worried to leave them outside with how often it rains around here and how hard it comes down where they are all still in adjustment periods and not fully rooted in.
By nimbulan
Oh I see. If the plants were shipped bare-root, as many sellers often do, sundews don't tend to like that much and can need a bit of recovery time. D. capensis is very tough and will bounce back in no time. It does raise a conundrum though - D. capensis is a subtropical plant, while the other two are temperate. It will be difficult to provide proper dormancy for the temperate plants without negatively affecting the subtropical when they are in the same pot. They can grow back after freezing but I doubt you want to experiment with that with your new plant.
By boarderlib
Just my two cents on the Capensis, I wouldn't worry about it as others have stated. They are very tough plants. Even if it looks completely dead, which yours is far from they will grow back from the roots. I've seen it first hand, and have pics to back it up.

Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Rosekitten
I dunno half of the things on amazon seem to be the same format or images so it's very hard to tell. Might be my own fault ordering from Amazon. ^^; heh..

But I'm doing everything I can and could for the plants so that's all I can do. I'm probably just over fretting and normally I order plants I'll get seeds to not have to wait through the shock period to see if the plant will thrive or not.
By Rosekitten
Could the moss I bought be a issue?
https://www.amazon.com/Super-Moss-23820 ... op?ie=UTF8
Looking further into the feedback people were complaining of dye or the moss just being dirty over all. I swore I thought I checked into that given I spent the better half of a week checking all of the materials I was ordering.

There was quite a bit of dust and a musty smell when I was handling the moss I ordered so I got thinking maybe it's causing a issue somewhere.. or I need to replace the medium and get new moss to go in it.

I'll take more images tonight after my kids are in bed but the pitcher isn't looking any better. The one seems to have brown spots near the base and the top of the plant is split a little. None of the pitchers are as firm feeling as they were when I got them.
By nimbulan
Now that you mention it, this product may not actually be sphagnum. It's a bit hard to tell from your pictures as the moss is pretty blurry. Generally true sphagnum will either be labeled as long fiber sphagnum moss or orchid moss and has a pretty distinctive appearance. Better Gro and Spagmoss are good high quality brands to look at. I would avoid Mosser Lee.
By nimbulan
I believe that Super Moss orchid moss is actually sphagnum but this mountain moss is not, despite also being labeled as sphagnum. I don't believe it's a particularly high quality brand either way.
By Rosekitten
Well I need to look into getting the proper moss asap.. I hunted for a long while to try and find the proper moss but wasn't able to find anything besides this that I bought. Nothing was labeled properly and when I did find the proper label it got report of it not being right either.. :<

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!