FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Frothy_Milk
Does growing tropical plants like Nepenthes, tropical and South African Drosera cost more overtime than growing temperate plants like sarracenia and Dionaea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Raistlarn
Depending on where you live yes. If you live in the right climate then the costs are negligible. For example I live in zone 9, and I grow Sarracenia and Dionea outside year round, whereas my tropical plants are grown in a climate controlled greenhouse.

I forgot to mention there are some tropical plants that can be grown as temperate plants. Like Cape Sundews, and some highland nepenthes.
By Frothy_Milk
I live in zone 9 as well. Is growing tropical plants easier? I would assume that tropical plants would require less repotting and soil changes and that could get expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Sakaaaaa
It REALLY depends where you live. In your place, you'll need to buy a big greenhouse with temperature and humidity control. But in my place you can grow tropicals outside/anywhere you want really.
Finally

Finally getting some adult shaped pitchers after m[…]

Question Pest Control

Most growers opt for natural or organic pest contr[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!