FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By Sakaaaaa
I'm horrible at VFTs :P

So my plant has been doing quite well, put out a big red trap, I plucked off the dead traps... but there are some traps that are growing into the soil, the "leaf" part of the trap (the triangle thing that the trap frows on) twirls around and ends up in the soil, and the trap grows pointing into the soil.

I've been giving it around 8 hours of sunshine every day and I've been watering it. Also, the traps dont close when I try putting a small object (e.g. toothpick) in them? I'm just testing since I heard trap closure can be a test of health.
By riveraXVX
hard to see in the photo but one of ours was doing something very similar (leaves that were twisting and curling and bending around all over) it was due to the depth I had the plant potted, it was potted just slightly too deep, so when a new shoot was going up it was getting stuck under the medium and twisting/contorting as it came up

i gentled pressed down the medium from the outside inward and kind of flattened that area down around it since it wasnt too far in ours and all traps resumed normal growth for us
By Sakaaaaa
Thanks. Flattened the soil and now it looks like a tiny tree :) . One of the leaves curled so much that the trap is actually on the underside :lol:
By 1cashew
Hey Sakaaaaa!
I do not know what cultivar you are growing there but your leaves look awfully bumpy and oddly colored to me. Mine always look sleek and plant green healthy. I grow mine in about four hours of direct sun and the rest of the day in bright indirect sun. Post more pictures of your plant.
By Sakaaaaa
1cashew wrote:Hey Sakaaaaa!
I do not know what cultivar you are growing there but your leaves look awfully bumpy and oddly colored to me. Mine always look sleek and plant green healthy. I grow mine in about four hours of direct sun and the rest of the day in bright indirect sun. Post more pictures of your plant.
It is supposed to be red, and it is a "Royal Red", I dunno about the bumps though. It just recovered from severe stress so that might be the cause of the bumps. I grow mine in about 5 hours of direct light, maybe less.

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!