FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By DarthMuppet78
Hello all,

I live in the Central Valley of California. Temperatures in the summer can sometimes get as high as 110 and are over 100 several times throughout the summer but is normally between the high 80's and high 90's. Is it okay to keep my plant outside? Should it be in a terrarium outside? The literature I received with it said that drafts can kill them, how drafty can it be and how prolonged must they be before it's damaging? I am submitting a picture of my newly acquired plant for opinions (I don't exactly know what a healthy one would look like.) Thanks for all the feedback and look forward to expanding my knowledge of these fascinating plants.

-Keith
Attachments:
VFT.jpg
VFT.jpg (33.02 KiB) Viewed 4241 times
By Matt
Keith, you should definitely keep your plant outside. Your weather actually sounds perfect for VFTs. It got over 100°F here in Boulder a few times last year and my plants handled it fine. If it doesn't get too far below freezing in the winter, you should be able to leave your plant outside all year and it will thrive.

There is never a need for a terrarium for Venus flytraps and I'm not sure I've ever heard that a draft can kill a Venus flytrap. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

FYI, your plant looks extremely healthy!
By Aging_Bourbon
Matt wrote:There is never a need for a terrarium for Venus flytraps and I'm not sure I've ever heard that a draft can kill a Venus flytrap. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

Nope never heard of it... i always grow my plants outdoors year round i live in New Mexico hehe..

allen,
By kevinqwe
those look great :)
:idea: maybe it could die if it is uprooted or blowin a weird way.
By Budukai
Hey quick question though, is your plant conditioned for the sun? If not I would try to introduce it to the sun little by little, just because of the sunburn that can happen to plants that may have had artificial light as an energy source. Just take it in during the hottest part of the day. Great looking plants by the way ^^
By DarthMuppet78
On my patio, its set up so that it receives the morning sun until about 11am then it is shaded by the overhang. From there it receives only indirect light until about 5pm and then it gets all the rays until sundown. Is that okay or should I still bring it inside?

Also, I see that we're supposed to use bottled water due to the mineral content in tap water; all of the bottled water I see says "enhanced with minerals for taste," is that okay or should I buy some distilled water?
By Matt
DarthMuppet78 wrote:On my patio, its set up so that it receives the morning sun until about 11am then it is shaded by the overhang. From there it receives only indirect light until about 5pm and then it gets all the rays until sundown. Is that okay or should I still bring it inside?
Yep, that sounds perfect. It should do well there. As Budukai mentioned, if your plant isn't hardened off to the sun, it could get sunburned. Even if it does, it will put out new growth that will be hardened, but if you want to prevent burning it, you should gradually introduce it to direct sunlight.
DarthMuppet78 wrote:lso, I see that we're supposed to use bottled water due to the mineral content in tap water; all of the bottled water I see says "enhanced with minerals for taste," is that okay or should I buy some distilled water?
Bottled water is usually not ok. You definitely don't want any water with minerals in it. Make sure to use only distilled water. If you have an air conditioner, you can catch the condensation from that and use it.

You know, it kinda hits you different when you onl[…]

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

I counted 21 in this one. Both are flavas that I g[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!