FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Caleboy 123
I just bought an Adelae, and it doesn't get humid enough round here, so here are my questions:
1. Why can't I keep it in the Cube Of Death from Lowes?
2. What's a good way to make a terrarium?
I guess I could cut a water bottle in half and plant it in the long part. I don't want the terrarium to be completely closed because it won't be able to catch anything.
By kevinqwe
its just not healthy
i dont think you need a terrarium, where do you live?
By Caleboy 123
Maryland, in Ocean City.
Also, should I gradually remove the lid from the death cube or take it out asap?
By Redneck_Angel
kevinqwe wrote:throw it away
:lol: I'm guessing you mean the death cube, and not the plant :lol:

Humidity trays do wonders for creating micro-climates around plants, without blocking the plant from your view or risking suffocating or cooking it. And they're super cheap and easy to do.

1)Get a tray a few inches in diameter LARGER than the pot the plant is currently in.
2)Fill the tray with rocks, or decorative beads if you want to get fancy. I know there's a special water retaining gravel you can get for this specific purpose, but I really don't think it's necessary.
3)Fill the tray with the rocks, place your plant on top of the rocks, and fill the tray with water.

The rocks will keep your plant above the water line if you're worried about your plant's feet getting wet, or you can use it for tray watering your plant such as I do (although this requires a bit of attention to the depth of the water in relation to the plant- I don't want my plant in water ALL the time, so I refill to slightly above where the pot sits, but allow for a couple of days where the water is below where the pot sits).
Once the tray is dry, re-fill it with water.
Attachments:
my humidity tray
my humidity tray
P1010008.JPG (144.86 KiB) Viewed 5347 times
By Caleboy 123
Redneck_Angel wrote:
kevinqwe wrote:throw it away
:lol: I'm guessing you mean the death cube, and not the plant :lol:

Humidity trays do wonders for creating micro-climates around plants, without blocking the plant from your view or risking suffocating or cooking it. And they're super cheap and easy to do.

1)Get a tray a few inches in diameter LARGER than the pot the plant is currently in.
2)Fill the tray with rocks, or decorative beads if you want to get fancy. I know there's a special water retaining gravel you can get for this specific purpose, but I really don't think it's necessary.
3)Fill the tray with the rocks, place your plant on top of the rocks, and fill the tray with water.

The rocks will keep your plant above the water line if you're worried about your plant's feet getting wet, or you can use it for tray watering your plant such as I do (although this requires a bit of attention to the depth of the water in relation to the plant- I don't want my plant in water ALL the time, so I refill to slightly above where the pot sits, but allow for a couple of days where the water is below where the pot sits).
Once the tray is dry, re-fill it with water.
Cool, thanks. That really helps keep it humid?
By English Springer
That is cool looking G!
The set-up gives it a nice look as well as producing humidity.

Looks like you have a flower stem coming up from that healthy looking plant as well??

Peace!
E.S.
By Caleboy 123
English Springer wrote:That is cool looking G!

Looks like you have a flower stem coming up from that healthy looking plant as well??

Peace!
E.S.
Yeah and the trap in the top looke weird for a minute but you have a nice healthy plant.
By Caleboy 123
English Springer wrote:That is cool looking G!

Peace!
E.S.
Yeah and the trap in the top looke weird for a minute but you have a nice healthy plant.
Double Post, sorry.
Last edited by Caleboy 123 on Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By sipecsus
yeah dude take every1s advice! terrariums suck! mold also tends to grow and the roots tend to rot as well!
By Redneck_Angel
That pic is about a month old, lol. The flower stalk has been cut and I'm trying to get it to root- but the pic does show the humidity tray nicely.

I haven't specifically measured the humidity difference, but I know orchid retailers use them ALL the time as most of the common orchids like humidity. Think about it- your plant is only an inch or two off of a slowly evaporating puddle. SOME of that extra evaporating water will get to the plant :mrgreen: As I said though- your tray needs to be a few inches larger than the pot to allow that evaporating water the space to get up to your plant. But ya, it seems to help keep my flytrap happy. Since I took that pic, there's a TON more traps, most have a healthy red coming in, and most are about the size of that solo red trap in the pic (it was like that when I bought it :lol: ).
By watnazn
sipecsus wrote:yeah dude take every1s advice! terrariums suck! mold also tends to grow and the roots tend to rot as well!
LIES!!! Terrariums can look beautiful when done right. I used to have one packed with venus flytraps and it was awesome. But the lowes cube isn't worth keeping the plant in.
Re-introduction

Thanks so much for sharing this great information![…]

You know, it kinda hits you different when you onl[…]

Piese originale Ford S-Max 2015-2020 alegerea pi[…]

https://www.pieseford.ro/piese-auto-ford-s-max-20[…]

Hello!

Welcome

Chilly in LA…

I've got a friend in Harvey, but that looks like […]

1 year old cape!

My cape is being evil. It died back when I did I[…]

The Sphagnum Yacht

We all love cotton...blue jeans, t-shirts, underwe[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!