FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Nick
I just bought a TDS meter and found out that my tap water is generally 40-41PPM, which I understand is near the threshold for safe top-watering. Should I let the water sit for a day before using it to let any chlorine dissipate, or could I water my plants directly using a hose? The plants are outside, so they get flushed whenever it rains and I plan on keeping some distilled water around for occasional flushing as well, not to mention regularly checking the TDS of whichever water I use.
By nimbulan
Chlorine doesn't matter. My tap reads 35-40 generally and I've been using it exclusively for at least a year now. However...the particular minerals in the water can differ, so your 40 tds may not have exactly the same effect on the plants as my 40 tds. If you want to play it safe, test your tray water regularly to make sure the TDS doesn't get too high and keep a close eye on your plants for any signs of stress.
nimbulan, nimbulan liked this
By Nick
nimbulan wrote:Chlorine doesn't matter. My tap reads 35-40 generally and I've been using it exclusively for at least a year now. However...the particular minerals in the water can differ, so your 40 tds may not have exactly the same effect on the plants as my 40 tds. If you want to play it safe, test your tray water regularly to make sure the TDS doesn't get too high and keep a close eye on your plants for any signs of stress.
Thanks! I generally do not use a tray unless it is exceptionally hot outside and I check my plants usually 2x a day. I appreciate the peace of mind!

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

Drosera germination time

Hello everyone - I recently got some D. burmanni[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Counting to infinity.

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!