FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By LuminousAphid
I am guessing there have been tons of "sphagnum" topics, so don't get mad at me for making another one, because this is about a specific product which yielded no results when I searched.

Has anyone used an orchid moss labeled "Supermoss"? I found that my local nursery started carrying it recently, and it looks like it is indeed sphagnum, but I just don't know if it's treated with anything. I'd think that if it's good for orchids it should work with CPs, but just wondering if anyone has actually tried it? It's expensive, about $18 for less than 1cuft:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1519152527 ... ps&lpid=82
By evenwind
All I really know for sure is that it's not New Zealand moss (I asked the company awhile back).
By xr280xr
I looked at that a few months ago. In the picture, it looks like good quality moss. It just wasn't cost effective at the time.
By Branmuffin
Anyone have updated info on Supermoss Sphagnum? I am running out of NZ LFSM and wanted to try this as it's dirt cheap but can't find any reviews, don't want to end up with something comparable to MosserLee.
By evenwind
I'm trying to remember my conversation with them (I pretty much lost interest when they said it wasn't NZS). I think they said it was Chilean sphagnum - which isn't terrible. Did you see the Amazon reviews - they're mostly good.
By SFLguy
From what I've seen, it's us able but not great I'd say it's an intermediate between better grow orchid moss (high quality Chilean moss sold at big stores around here) and Mosser Lee

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
By Wikiwakawakawee
It should be fine, I've been using this moss since I started growing CPs :) Right now on amazon its about $11 for a 1lb bale and $26 for a 2.4lb bale. They're both compressed so it expands a lot when you re-hydrate it.
Here's the link:
https://www.amazon.com/SuperMoss-22325- ... Bmoss&th=1
By Matt
I don't know for sure if it's the same stuff I purchased a long time ago, but I did try some Chilean moss at one point. It didn't work so well for me and it's a large part of the reason I had written off using LFS for growing flytraps until I tried the NZ LFS, which is all we use now for flytraps.
By Branmuffin
Matt wrote:I don't know for sure if it's the same stuff I purchased a long time ago, but I did try some Chilean moss at one point. It didn't work so well for me and it's a large part of the reason I had written off using LFS for growing flytraps until I tried the NZ LFS, which is all we use now for flytraps.

What exactly do you like better about NZLFSM? Is it just that it retains more water than Chilean sphagnum?

I received my 1lb bale today, I would say for $12 w/ shipping its good quality, very little debris. I use peat/ perlite for my main mix so this is primarily used for the bottom of pots with drainage holes to retain the peat so quality isn't a huge issue. However, i do use Sphagnum / perlite for Nepenthes and Cephalotus so I will be curious to see how it works in the long run. It is pretty odd that it was packaged in a bag labeld coco coir with a sticker over the top that says "Sphagnum"!
NZ Sphagnum on left, Supermoss on right.
NZ Sphagnum on left, Supermoss on right.
IMG_4624.JPG (1.3 MiB) Viewed 6126 times
IMG_4625.JPG
IMG_4625.JPG (908.19 KiB) Viewed 6126 times
By Matt
Branmuffin wrote:What exactly do you like better about NZLFSM? Is it just that it retains more water than Chilean sphagnum?
The plants grow better in the NZ LFMS. The Chilean stuff seemed to not have much in the way of antibacterial properties. And broke down quickly.
By Nick
Just in case they mixed coco coir in there, I'd strongly advise testing the runoff from the media for TDS. Other folks have tried to use coir in the past with poor results due to large amounts of dissolved solids in the media.
By Branmuffin
Nick wrote:Just in case they mixed coco coir in there, I'd strongly advise testing the runoff from the media for TDS. Other folks have tried to use coir in the past with poor results due to large amounts of dissolved solids in the media.
Good point but it is clearly just a packaging issue, it is pure Sphagnum. Pretty humorous seeing "Organic renewable resource!!" Labeled all over the package.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!