FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Chhewy
Hi guys, I just picked up this plant a few weeks ago from Lowe's and re-potted it in one of the pots from Matt and Steve I was wondering if you guys can tell me what kind of sundew this is and what is the best way to care for it. I'm curious about watering, feeding, and light. Thanks for the information guys. Lemme know if the picture doesn't work as I'm new to posting pictures on forums. Image

Jon
By Ras
it looks like a spatulata,
and Lowes has spatulatas from time to time
id say its that ,
now that you got it out of the death trap known as lowes im sure it will look alot better
this is few pics of my spatualta, yours should look like this within a few weeks, seeing as i rescue spatulatas from lowes alot, you can see the difference in the new and old plants, the ones that are tiny and leggy with no dew on them are ones i recently got from lowes, when they recover they all end up coloring like this
or like this
(^see the little unhealthy looking ones, those were the most recent plants)
BUT! as they get older they get much healthier and turn into bushes with multiple growth points, when they do this some ppl said that you can divide them into multiple plants, but i let mine bush out, when you do it looks like this

alright im done
anyway now you know what to look for! have fun bro
By Chhewy
Thanks guys for all the help it looks like lots of you plant them in a larger container or pot and you guys get a mini "community" of them. I really like how that looks can you guys let me in on what dimensions of pots you guys use and if I need to drill holes in them. Can I leave them outside? Thanks I'm really starting to get addicted to this new hobby of mine my gf says im going overboard haha.

Jon
By stitz25b
yh it is a spathulata
very easy to grow and propagate
By Ras
corky wrote:nice dews ras,
ty :)
Chhewy wrote:Thanks guys for all the help it looks like lots of you plant them in a larger container or pot and you guys get a mini "community" of them. I really like how that looks can you guys let me in on what dimensions of pots you guys use and if I need to drill holes in them. Can I leave them outside? Thanks I'm really starting to get addicted to this new hobby of mine my gf says im going overboard haha.

Jon
idk the dimensions but i used a tubaware

^ you can see when i move the rocks aside, its not very deep , and they seem to grow fine
so if what your lookin for is a wider pot, i wouldnt worry all to much about how deep it is
not with spatulatas, i got this tubaware and to this day i still fill it with spts i get from lowes (few from california carnivorous),
but lowes sells them for a reason, they are extremely hard to kill. so root space wont bother them a bit
and holes in the bottom of the pot are benifical, forsure! but not necessary , most sundews live on the edges of boggs, some even root through a film of water, so if you have apot with no holes and your worried ab out it floording the plant, i can guarantee you yourspatulata will be fine in flooded condition's, the only problem with that is mold and fungus
I (and about everyone on this forum) would probably recomend you putt drain holes in the bottom and keep it in a tray, when you want to water it, just fill the tray with water and let it soak up into the pot
dw about over watering, ever, just make sure its moist, they dont like there soil to dry out atall
and as for pot dimensions, it really dosnt matter
i have my spats in a 2 in pot atm lol, because the pot is so wide i fit like 19 spts in it ,the roots just grow down to the bottom then grow sideways
but if you only have that one plant or just like 3-4 spats, id keep em in the FTS store container because it gives root space, and you dont need topsoil spaceto fit plants in like i did with the 2-3 inch pot

so basically, that pot is fine
just treat it like any other terrestrial carnivorous plant and it will thrive, but if you want a "colony" like you said, thats how i did it
anddd they dont need dormancy but it does form very strong hybernation buds when it feels threatend by winter (example, low hours of light, not enough water, cold temps, any of this will cause it to go dormant)

okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk hf
By Vern
Ras wrote:
corky wrote:nice dews ras,
ty :)
Chhewy wrote:Thanks guys for all the help it looks like lots of you plant them in a larger container or pot and you guys get a mini "community" of them. I really like how that looks can you guys let me in on what dimensions of pots you guys use and if I need to drill holes in them. Can I leave them outside? Thanks I'm really starting to get addicted to this new hobby of mine my gf says im going overboard haha.

Jon
idk the dimensions but i used a tubaware

^ you can see when i move the rocks aside, its not very deep , and they seem to grow fine
so if what your lookin for is a wider pot, i wouldnt worry all to much about how deep it is
not with spatulatas, i got this tubaware and to this day i still fill it with spts i get from lowes (few from california carnivorous),
but lowes sells them for a reason, they are extremely hard to kill. so root space wont bother them a bit
and holes in the bottom of the pot are benifical, forsure! but not necessary , most sundews live on the edges of boggs, some even root through a film of water, so if you have apot with no holes and your worried ab out it floording the plant, i can guarantee you yourspatulata will be fine in flooded condition's, the only problem with that is mold and fungus
I (and about everyone on this forum) would probably recomend you putt drain holes in the bottom and keep it in a tray, when you want to water it, just fill the tray with water and let it soak up into the pot
dw about over watering, ever, just make sure its moist, they dont like there soil to dry out atall
and as for pot dimensions, it really dosnt matter
i have my spats in a 2 in pot atm lol, because the pot is so wide i fit like 19 spts in it ,the roots just grow down to the bottom then grow sideways
but if you only have that one plant or just like 3-4 spats, id keep em in the FTS store container because it gives root space, and you dont need topsoil spaceto fit plants in like i did with the 2-3 inch pot

so basically, that pot is fine
just treat it like any other terrestrial carnivorous plant and it will thrive, but if you want a "colony" like you said, thats how i did it
anddd they dont need dormancy but it does form very strong hybernation buds when it feels threatend by winter (example, low hours of light, not enough water, cold temps, any of this will cause it to go dormant)

okkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk hf
I know that this thread is super old, but I had to comment on your photo Ras. that is one beautiful set up you have there. I just divided one of spatulata because I'm hoping for more side growths. I didn't know they could look so nice if you let them bush out!
Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!