FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Handrail Pete
Since spring is officially over and summer is here, I thought I'd dump a couple fotos of what's left in my collection and give a brief description. I let most of my dionaea flower this season to collect a lot of seed, so my plants don't look as generally attractive and aren't as big as they were last year at this time. Most of you will be familiar with the size of an FTS cup, so that will serve as size reference. Anyway, here they are:

Flaming Lips - I got this around 1 year ago as a very small, pale division in a trade

Trich x Coquillage - also received this in a trade about a year ago as a small division I believe

Alien - started out as starter sized plant in early '15 and really struggled, almost lost it a couple times. It finally pulled through after dormancy this spring

Fuzzy Tooth - consistently puts out fuzzy teeth during the spring/summer, one of my favorites

Werewolf Spawn - awesome variety. It flowered (non-functional flower, no seed harvest) and is making babies now

KMS - never ceases to amaze

6 seed growns from FTS red mix

Petiolaris Sundew - started out as 1 plant last October and now the rhizome is a massive clump hopefully waiting to split a few times

Drosera Caduca - also in the peteolaris complex family

Drosera Madagascariensis - staying strong, I'm propping it up by tying the dead flower stalks to the little pole

Fork-Leaf cross drosera seedlings from the next photo

Marston's Dragon and Multifida Extrema mother pots

Shot of my various red cultivars, not doing so well since they didn't get a dormancy

King Henry trap

Expired Polish Dracula trap (for size)

Grün trap next to my finger with one of my favorite cultivars below - bristletooth

Typicals - started out as around 10-15 Home Depot/Winn Dixie rescues, now they've almost surely tripled in quantity

Wacky traps - 1 of 2 mature plants that I own. Easily my favorite especially when you see the unique flower morphology

An assortment of sarracenias + a drosera tracyii var traycii I think..

Nepenthes Ventrata - the only variety of nepenthes out of around 10 that I've been able to grow in my climate. It grows outside in intense heat, but is ALWAYS in the shade. It may receive 1 or 2 hours of direct sunlight in the early hours of dawn - I don't know, never checked. There's 2 more plants popping up from the roots of the mother plant now. I've been using osmocote pellets on this monster and it really shows from month to month

And to close a shot of my growing ledge where all the magic happens. As you might have noticed I have various anti-pest measures in place including but not limited to: scary owls, saw blades attached to the bins, long poles standing straight up inside the bins, a spray bottle of neem oil + a BB gun. And something is still eating my plants..
Last edited by Handrail Pete on Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 28 times in total.
By VigorousFlyTrap
Wow they all look great I especially love the color on your Flaming Lips

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
By VigorousFlyTrap
How and where do you grow your traps sir :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
By TS 1989
Your plants look amazing! And your Nepenthes Ventricosa looks more like a Nepenthes Ventrata to me.
By pieguy452
Awesome collection with tons of variety!!!
By Handrail Pete
Indeed it's a ventrata, thanks for the correction. I keep all plants outside year round
By Benurmanii
Handrail Pete wrote:Indeed it's a ventrata, thanks for the correction. I keep all plants outside year round
Woah, what are your temps like? Do the petiolaris 'dews go dormant? That one that has split looks amazingly healthy for year-round outdoors.
By Handrail Pete
Temps are in the 80s and 90s most of the year and drop only 10 degrees or so during the winter. Both of my petiolarises did go dormant and woke up alongside my other vfts strong. I've been growing it for less than a year so we'll see what happens in the future
By Benurmanii
Handrail Pete wrote:Temps are in the 80s and 90s most of the year and drop only 10 degrees or so during the winter. Both of my petiolarises did go dormant and woke up alongside my other vfts strong. I've been growing it for less than a year so we'll see what happens in the future
Oh I did not know that you live in a hot climate. Congrats on waking those petiolaris Drosera out of dormancy! apparently it is pretty difficult to do.
By Handrail Pete
I live 72 miles north of the "tropics" and technically it's sub-tropical here. But yeah for all practical purposes I live in the tropics, so growing these wonderful petiolaris dews requires no extra effort on my part. I've completely given up on growing all but 1 nepenthes, heliamphora, and cephalotus though :(

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!