FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Branmuffin
I am prepping my plants this weekend for spring and will be putting together a few "mini bogs" with my existing sarracenia and I would like to add a few sundews where I will have some extra space. I am located in zone 6/6a so they need to be cold hardy, I have grown sarracenia and VFT's successfully for the past few seasons so I have the basic care down, the only sundew I have is a filiformis I picked up last season and did well all year but seemed to take a dive late in the season, I believe it just hit dormancy sooner than my other plants but won't know until it perks up this spring.
Anyone have any suggestions of temperate sundews that I should start off with or are less temperamental than others?

Thanks!
By David F
Drosera filliformis seems to persist like a champ, and even if it dies off you'll probably get seed that germinates. Most of the temperate sundews should handle a 6a winter fairly well. If you're not confident they survive you can always try alternate methods of dormancy.
David F liked this
By Branmuffin
David F wrote:Drosera filliformis seems to persist like a champ, and even if it dies off you'll probably get seed that germinates. Most of the temperate sundews should handle a 6a winter fairly well. If you're not confident they survive you can always try alternate methods of dormancy.
I actually moved all my plants into a cold frame and mulched them this year and it worked great. Our winter is generally mild but we did have a few days in the -5 to-10 range. With the mini bogs I will likely just mulch them on the patio and tarp them on the super cold days.
By nimbulan
D. filiformis and D. rotundifolia should both survive that climate just fine. Various D. binata forms (namely the weedy T-form and dichotoma) should survive too. You might be able to grow D. linearis in that climate as well, though it may be difficult to find since it's quite difficult to keep alive in warmer regions.
nimbulan liked this
By MichaelGuardian
Just a note, the D. Intermedias will become a weed. I've grown mine outside in bog containers for 2 years and now they have covered every square inch of the soil's surface. But I still love it, good candidate for bogs.
MichaelGuardian liked this
By Branmuffin
Must be too early still for temperate sundews because I can't seem to find a store that has stock of intermedias,filiformis and rotundifolia all in the same shop.

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to mon[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!