A Comprehensive Venus Fly Trap Website

Sterilizing Peat Moss??

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Sterilizing Peat Moss??

Postby MrsJP » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:04 pm

I just received a new Venus FlyTrap from a friend. I've had a one in the past that did not survive. Now with the help of this site I've learnd alot and hopfully I can take better care of this one. First I want to get her repoted, I have plain peatmoss but it's been sitting outside all summer and I'm worried about bugs.
How should I sterilize it?? Bake it or Freeze it???
MrsJP

Re: Sterilizing Peat Moss??

Postby Sander » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:26 pm

I'd bake id, germs, in general, are more sensitive to heat then to cold
Sander

The following user would like to thank Sander for this post
MrsJP

Postby mnwatson1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:41 pm

Bake it. Freezing could potentially only put insects in dormancy, and they could recover rather than die. Or you could wet it down and nuke it in the microwave. The bugs might go boomsplat though.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 4
mnwatson1
Super User

The following user would like to thank mnwatson1 for this post
MrsJP

Postby Kevonicus » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:40 am

Unless you've had a raging outbreak in the media you plan on reusing, I honestly don't understand why people go through the effort of sterilizing. The plants are tough, just acclimate them to their new growing conditions slowly. Stuff like fungi spore and bacteria will always be lurking in the media, waiting to strike at the weakened plant (newly transplanted/stressed from pests). Even if you do sterilize, they will be reintroduced quickly. Perhaps the best method is to treat the soil with a fungicide (to ward off rot) while the media stays initially overly wet after transplanting. I think the most important thing for us is making sure light levels are adequate (not to strong for transplants) and the moisture/air flow is carefully monitored until the plant is established and going full bore.
Kevonicus
Super User

Return to Water Quality, Growing Media and Planting Containers