FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By tzestan
There were spider mites on a few plants. And I happened to get a hold of some dry ice (frozen carbon dioxide). So, I put each mite infected plant in a plastic bag, with a piece of dry ice large enough to displace trapped air volume in the bag after sublimation. The bag was tied loosely so that evaporated dry ice could purge air out from it. I left the plant in the bag for 4 hours. Not sure the mites were killed.

12 hours after getting the plants out, I see some leaves discolored, turning white or slight brown. I don't think the injury is severe. The plants should survive. Sphagnum seems unaffected though.
Discolored white patches.
Discolored white patches.
Graflo_280717.jpg (276.02 KiB) Viewed 4162 times
Browning of young leaves.
Browning of young leaves.
Mad_280717.jpg (152.56 KiB) Viewed 4162 times
All leaves slight brown.
All leaves slight brown.
Veit_280717.jpg (278.45 KiB) Viewed 4162 times
Has anyone tried this method to eradicate pests? Was it effective?
By cjpflaumer
How cold did it get inside the bag? Maybe the leaf damage is from the cold. I have read about this but haven't tried it myself. Very interesting. I have tried submerging a plant fully under water for about 15 to 20 minutes and that seemed to work.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
By tannerm
Why not just use neem? It’s safe for CPs and you can even water them with it if you flush the next day. Kills all pests

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By tannerm
nimbulan wrote:Yeah I would suspect possible cold damage as well. The one time I had spider mites I dealt with them with a combination of isopropanol, neem oil, and high humidity.
I’ve had success with just pure neem.

By Leathal_Traps
The one time I tried neem it was a disaster. Horrible smell and it didn't work at all. I recommend floramite. One spray and they are gone ( you can even buy it from flytrapstore).
By tannerm
Leathal_Traps wrote:The one time I tried neem it was a disaster. Horrible smell and it didn't work at all. I recommend floramite. One spray and they are gone ( you can even buy it from flytrapstore).
did you get the wrong kind/something with an additive or mix it wrong?

By Fishkeeper
Dart frog keepers use CO2 to kill off pests in vivariums, after removing the frogs of course. It's perfectly safe for plants as long as it doesn't get too cold. Try a larger bag so the ice stays away from them.
By tzestan
The pot is 15cm tall. Ice of size 8cm^3 was put in a 5cm shallow cup 5cm away from the pot. Can't even feel the cool 5cm away. Leaves are at the farthest point away from ice, ~20cm. Room temp is 30C. Too high for the ice to bring temp down till cold damage.
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!