FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions and share knowledge about cameras and photographic technique

Moderator: Matt

By olliesarea
Hi,
I have a few techniques I use when photographing my plants, here is a few of them:
- Make sure that your camera focuses on the best part of the plant, sometimes it will focus on the potting mix instead.
- Taking the photo from the best angle. experiment with a few photos to try and get the best shot of your plant/s.
- If you are taking a photo looking horizontally at the plant, e.g to show the length of a stem/ leaves, it may help to put a peice of card just behind the plants, this prevents the camera from focusing on the background, and it also blocks out background light which can make your plant stem/leaves seem thinner than they actually are. but, make sure that the source of light coming from behind you is still bright enough to produce a good photo.
- I always take my pictures in full daylight, never with a flash.
Please comment any other tips to improve this list!
Thanks,
Ollie
olliesarea liked this
By lemonlily
Use your camera and experiment with the different settings. Sometimes the "wrong" setting might work even better.
By olliesarea
lemonlily wrote:Use your camera and experiment with the different settings. Sometimes the "wrong" setting might work even better.
Thanks, thats a good tip, I normally use a CLOSE UP setting, but sometimes its best if I use the AUTO setting.
By lemonlily
Your welcome. I figured that out by using some other setting, but the pictures weren't too bad. But in general, I don't really know how to set the camera, so all I do is walk forward, backward, zoom in, zoom out, move up, move down, that kind of stuff.
By archimago
Here is a link on how to make a macro-studio.
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/ho ... tudio.html
It's basically a cardboard box that has a large hole cut into each side. Over these holes, he has placed tissue paper. A piece of poster board is then placed in an arc, covering the floor and the back of the box. This gives a nice smooth transition. You could use different colors of poster board for different looks. He is using lights in this set-up, but you could use this outdoors just as easily. The main thing to remember is to diffuse your light.
By Matt
archimago wrote:Here is a link on how to make a macro-studio.
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/ho ... tudio.html
It's basically a cardboard box that has a large hole cut into each side. Over these holes, he has placed tissue paper. A piece of poster board is then placed in an arc, covering the floor and the back of the box. This gives a nice smooth transition. You could use different colors of poster board for different looks. He is using lights in this set-up, but you could use this outdoors just as easily. The main thing to remember is to diffuse your light.
Very cool! I might have to make me one of these!
By David F
Funky :o

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!