FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By tannerm
I got my Jamban from California Carnivores and when it arrived, it had two pitchers on it, but it wasn't well taken care of (unfortunately) and the 5 or 6 day shipping (they shipped it on a Friday so it had no movement over the weekend) didn't help much either.

After producing 4 pitchers that look like this over the course of about 3 or 4 months (and inevitably shrivel up)...

It FINALLY has a new pitcher that looks like this!!!!!
By tannerm
blucksy wrote:Nice! How much was it and did California carnivores give you compensation?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
$150, which is very expensive in my opinion (I just HAD to have it and couldn't find it anywhere else at the time). I should have kept looking, hindsight is 20/20. Anyway, nope, they didn't give compensation. Ironically the SAME thing happened to the drosera falconeri I purchased on their ebay (the WHOLE THING was smashed to sh!7 when it got here). Needless to say, I won't be ordering from CC again.
By blucksy
tannerm wrote:
blucksy wrote:Nice! How much was it and did California carnivores give you compensation?

$150, which is very expensive in my opinion (I just HAD to have it and couldn't find it anywhere else at the time). I should have kept looking, hindsight is 20/20. Anyway, nope, they didn't give compensation. Ironically the SAME thing happened to the drosera falconeri I purchased on their ebay (the WHOLE THING was smashed to sh!7 when it got here). Needless to say, I won't be ordering from CC again.
Yeah CC is overpriced and it's better to support the little guys

By tannerm
blucksy wrote:
tannerm wrote:

Yeah CC is overpriced and it's better to support the little guys

Agreed! But regardless, it looks like this trap is FINALLY going to pull through! Beyond happy. I can't tell you how disappointing it is to have spent that kind of money, had the traps and leaves die and then have it recover only to send out 4 dead pitchers.
By nimbulan
Shipping on Friday is pretty normal generally. USPS does move packages over the weekend, unless yours happened to get delayed due to the package lottery (they're understaffed so they can only move a certain percentage of mail each day.) Five days is nothing for a Nepenthes - the plant is simply adjusting to your conditions.

Personally, everything I've ordered from CC has arrived very healthy, albeit with many weeds in the pot. I will agree that their prices for rare or large plants tend to be very high.
By tannerm
nimbulan wrote:Shipping on Friday is pretty normal generally. USPS does move packages over the weekend, unless yours happened to get delayed due to the package lottery (they're understaffed so they can only move a certain percentage of mail each day.) Five days is nothing for a Nepenthes - the plant is simply adjusting to your conditions.

Personally, everything I've ordered from CC has arrived very healthy, albeit with many weeds in the pot. I will agree that their prices for rare or large plants tend to be very high.
If you say so. And it didn't move, plus the package was hot as F when I got it. Regardless, wasn't packaged well. I know Peter is great and his book is an awesome resource, but I've been underwhelmed by the CC plants :( I wish I could go there in person and hand pick them, maybe I just got unlucky.
By Benurmanii
CC is definitely overpriced, by why would they give you compensation? The plant which you showed us a while ago, albeit not pitchering, looked pretty healthy.

The package not moving has nothing to do with CC. Packages ship 24/7, unless USPS simply does not move your package by random chance :P

Boxes heat up a ton in the direct sun, and there isn't much a sell can do about it, which is why it is best to try to get home ASAP when it arrives.
By tannerm
Benurmanii wrote:CC is definitely overpriced, by why would they give you compensation? The plant which you showed us a while ago, albeit not pitchering, looked pretty healthy.

The package not moving has nothing to do with CC. Packages ship 24/7, unless USPS simply does not move your package by random chance :P

Boxes heat up a ton in the direct sun, and there isn't much a sell can do about it, which is why it is best to try to get home ASAP when it arrives.
I never said anything about compensation ha. And yes, the pictures from a while ago were from after having taken care of it for a few months anyway... right after I got it the poor thing went into shock.

I know it has nothing to do with them, but I'm in Cali and so are they... if they would have sent it on Monday instead, it would have only been a 1-2 day journey.
By tannerm
But you guys are missing the point, I'm not mad at CC... no hard feelings, I'm just super happy it's starting to pitcher!!!!

I was going to root fertilize with Maxsea, but now I'm having second thoughts
1 year old cape!

Pushing out a flower stalk for the first time. […]

Congratulations! Those are beautiful plants. I&r[…]

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of […]

My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!