FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about growing with minimal or no organic growing medium.

Moderator: Matt

By MurphysLaw
I don't know if this topic has been covered before on this forum.

I was looking for a simple drip system to water my darlingtonia's without flooding my other plants.

The system I came up with was inexpensive, simple, the water is kept cool.

I came up with a simple pressure, siphon system. The first prototype was made with 2 empty distilled water bottles, a simple aquarium air pump, tubing, T-connectors and air valves. The prototype worked, but drained too quickly over the day, and was difficult to seal the bottles. I finally found that if I up scaled the system, the water use could better be controlled. the system now uses 2 - 5 Gallon Carboy Polyethylene Jugs, and I was able to use common plumbing parts to seal the air/water jug.

The air tube extends into the bottle of the bottle. I use a rigid tube that reaches the bottom. Also, the tube that is used to draw the water out also has a rigid tube that extends to the bottom the bottle. The principle is, the bottle is pressurized and the pressure pushes the water out through the tube to the drip valve.

The process is: Air pump to check valve, to the water jug, water tube from jug to the plant, air valve to control the drip flow, The plants need to be sitting in a deep tray, and exit opening in the bottom of the collection tray, tube from tray to a collection bottle or jug of the same capacity as the original water bottle or jug.

You just need to adjust the flow using the air valve control where the water is dripping from

Total price using a gallon bottle system under $20.
The larger system around $50.

Here are some photos to see how it works. Please excuse the mess, It is a work in progress. Which seems to be working!
I hope this helps with others who don't need a full irrigation system to water specific plants.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeWn2WZg ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]
Attachments:
dripsystem.jpg
dripsystem.jpg (81.99 KiB) Viewed 6900 times
Water tanks.jpg
Water tanks.jpg (44.48 KiB) Viewed 6900 times
full water system.jpg
full water system.jpg (43.19 KiB) Viewed 6900 times
MurphysLaw, MurphysLaw, MurphysLaw and 1 others liked this
By MurphysLaw
I have since upgraded this system with the use of a small fountain pump that is now watering over 6 plants !
The plants are doing well!

Update: I backed off on the watering frequency and[…]

Drosera germination time

What Chef Dean said... But if I had to pick a num[…]

Counting to infinity.

assuming they have enough light and water, are gre[…]

My sundew isn’t eating!

How about your leaf cuttings? Did you get any pla[…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!