FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Spencer1221
Hey! I've been wanting to repot my VFT for a while but I don't know what type of soil to use. My VFT is a Dingley Giant. At the moment I think it's in sphagnum moss. Should I move it to a 50% perlite and 50% sphagnum moss soil?
Thanks so much!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
By cjpflaumer
Well for a single plant I would suggest fresh sphagnum. High quality like better gro or spagmoss.
Unless you get perlite from an online source, the bag will be huge for one plant. Also, you can get away with no perlite with sphagnum, at least in my experience and conditions. Hope that helps.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
By Matt
The choice of medium for growing Venus flytraps is very individualistic, based on growing conditions and care techniques. It really is a matter of personal preference. No one medium is really better than the other, as long as good care is given to the plants.

We (and other growers) have found that Venus flytraps grow more quickly in high-quality sphagnum moss. But it is entirely feasible to grow very large and healthy plants in peat-based mixes as well.
By Spencer1221
Matt wrote:The choice of medium for growing Venus flytraps is very individualistic, based on growing conditions and care techniques. It really is a matter of personal preference. No one medium is really better than the other, as long as good care is given to the plants.

We (and other growers) have found that Venus flytraps grow more quickly in high-quality sphagnum moss. But it is entirely feasible to grow very large and healthy plants in peat-based mixes as well.
Awesome!
Thanks for the help! Image

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I got your SASE for your March request the other d[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

Hello everyone! I am a new flytrap owner and purc[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

I use a Govee and I love it. It connects via app o[…]

I put this venus flytrap in a different type of so[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!