FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By MrSleeves
So I have had these plants for about 3 years and I'll be honest they get a lil neglected. My neps and drosera get the most attention. Looking at the pics and the deformed pitchers, anyone have any ideas what is causing this?
By Frothy_Milk
How much sun are they getting? Are they going through dormancy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By MrSleeves
I'm in zone 9+ so they get a mild dormancy period. They honestly probably only get 3-4 hours of direct sun. I honestly have no way at the moment to get them more sun. I do have a greenhouse at my father in laws house but temps are getting up to like 115. I need to get some shade cloth before I put them in there I think
By Frothy_Milk
MrSleeves wrote:I'm in zone 9+ so they get a mild dormancy period. They honestly probably only get 3-4 hours of direct sun. I honestly have no way at the moment to get them more sun. I do have a greenhouse at my father in laws house but temps are getting up to like 115. I need to get some shade cloth before I put them in there I think
The only thing I would really think of is to give them more sunlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By MrSleeves
My plan is to put them in the greenhouse but I need to get the temps down
By Branmuffin
Have you checked for pests? Sometimes new growth will curl if pests are chewing on roots, or could be light related. 3-4 hours direct sun is pretty low for a Sarracenia.
By deleted user
More sunlight is needed for them, but that wouldn't cause the weird growth. Could be a pest or being underwatered

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
By boarderlib
I agree on pests. Are you seeing damage to the other plants in the pot?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By MrSleeves
The only pests I have ever seen was scale and that was last year. Haven't seen any this year. If there are pests chewing on roots, how do you take care of them? How will you even know?
By Branmuffin
MrSleeves wrote:The only pests I have ever seen was scale and that was last year. Haven't seen any this year. If there are pests chewing on roots, how do you take care of them? How will you even know?
You won't know unless you are willing to uproot the plant which isn't worth it at this point. Try poking around in the soil near the plants and see if you find anything. I would suggest picking up a bottle of Neem Oil or Neem Oil extract and mixing your own solution, you can spray the plant and also let it soak into the soil to reach whatever is downnthere, if anything.
By MrSleeves
Is neem oil available at most hardware/home improvement stores? Is that the best method to treat soil infested pests? Are these pests visible to the naked eye or are they smaller?
Will the current pitchers recover or do I need to watch the new growth for improvement? Thank
By MrSleeves
I applied 3 tablespoons neem oil/ gallon distilled water.
I noticed 3 or 4 of these bugs after applying. Don't think these r the cause but who knows
By MrSleeves
Anyone know what this might be?
Since using the neem I have seen a bunch of bugs scattering on the top soil even slugs. I have never noticed anything before

Fishing

I'll list them then and let you all see what you m[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!