FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By afh928
Word. Thanks man, i'll be picking up some asap!
By BigEasy
Never heard any opinions about the question I ask earlier. I am sure it got lost in the post.

It was about if the sand says that it is "extreme pure quartz silica sand".

Do I need to go through the trouble of washing it?

And if i do need to wash it , how do people normally wash their sand ?
By cvlover
Hi BigEasy,
I love your pictures of the filter sand bags. Would you take some pictures of sand inside the bag. I am looking for it too at my local shop. Thanks.
By BigEasy
cvlover wrote:Hi BigEasy,
I love your pictures of the filter sand bags. Would you take some pictures of sand inside the bag. I am looking for it too at my local shop. Thanks.
Yeah sure here you go not great pictures (camera phone) but you get the idea. It really is good looking sand and pretty coarse too (compared to what
i have seen) which is an added bonus !
Attachments:
Sand 1.jpg
Sand 1.jpg (110.44 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
Sand 2.jpg
Sand 2.jpg (108.16 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
By cvlover
Thanks BigEasy. Sand looks real good to me. I hope I can find it in my local store. :D
By BigEasy
Yeah i had to ask for it... it was in back storage.
By lemonlily
Is it possible to blend sand in a blender? Okay, if it's really funny, go ahead and laugh. But that is sort of a stupid question although I don't know the answer...
By BigEasy
lemonlily wrote:Is it possible to blend sand in a blender? Okay, if it's really funny, go ahead and laugh. But that is sort of a stupid question although I don't know the answer...
WOW umm I would say yes but have a few extra blades.

YOU COULD GET ONE OF THESE !!!!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg1ckCkm8YI

http://www.willitblend.com/
By lemonlily
Haha! Yeah that can blend everything. And I mean everything!

Is it better when you have fine grains of sand?
By BigEasy
lemonlily wrote:Haha! Yeah that can blend everything. And I mean everything!

Is it better when you have fine grains of sand?
Not quite sure if it is better, lots of people believe that coarser sand tends to look better. (more contrast)
Obviously it wont drain away as easily and wont compact as much which gives you better
drainage. I tend to share their opinions. But, sometimes you have to work with what
you have and if all you have is fine sand that I think it will work well enough.
By lemonlily
Thanks. I had been wondering about the size matters of sand.
By Mkayum
would meduim sand work? i saw them in home depot today when i bought venus flytrap
By Nats
I cant find any grade of pure silica sand where I live. I have been everywhere looking.
It can be found at eBay and the bag of sand its self is pretty cheap, but the shipping is a killer!!
It's over $30 just to ship, but it is 50lb's, so I guess the high shipping is to be expected.

It is pool filter sand. I have also seen silica sand sold in smaller quantities for use as a paint additive
for boat decks.
It is sold at boating supply places in 2 and 5lb containers, which is ideal size and it's pretty cheap.

I will find and post a link, maybe someone has used this stuff.

Found this on eBay, 1lb bags:
Looks interesting.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SILICA-SAND-ONE-POU ... 3cbab502f1
By Vickiab72
I have not been able to locate any silica sand, construction sand, coarse sand, etc. Could small pebbles be used along with all purpose sand? Or would I be better off just using the sphagnum peat moss with extra perlite?
By riveraXVX
zombie post bumped from the deaaaaaaaaad!

sand isn't needed if you are doing peat/perlite mix - you can use your own combos some people just do sand/peat some do peat/sand/perlite heck some even grow in straight peat (I wouldn't)

a simple 50/50 peat/perlite is more than sufficient for a lot of carnivorous plants though! just make sure additive/fertilizer free, and I'd rinse it well even if it is with no additives before using.

I had a heck of a time finding coarse silica sand locally so I ended up buying this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CE ... UTF8&psc=1

came out to $30 shipped for a 25 lb (2 gallon) box. been using it and like it a lot

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Brushes For Pollination

I just use Q - tips and they work pretty well for […]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

(Canada) Y's Exotics Group Order

Hosting this on the CPSC Forums (although you don'[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!