FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Share photos of your Venus Fly Traps here.

Moderator: Matt

By Oblivion
Steve_D wrote:
[*]Deep pots; Venus Flytraps' roots like to go down 8-10 inches or more, 5-6 inches at least; and well-rooted Flytraps are very robust in health and growth.
[*]Don't let the sides of the pots overheat in the sun and damage the roots; insulated polyurethane foam pots or cheap styrofoam cups work great; as an alternative, white or light-colored plastic or vitreous ceramic (vitreous means nonporous, waterproof) reflects sunlight and helps a lot; pots can also be nested one inside another or shaded somehow; small pots are more susceptible to rapid overheating in direct sunlight, so planting several plants in a larger pot (6-10 inches diameter (15-25 centimeters)) helps a lot to buffer the soil temperature
Steve
ya know, after re-potting with the large trough thats now my mini peat bog, i have to say i have noticed this drastically.

little pots seem to use far more water, and got quite warm indeed in direct sun even on the most beautiful days where the weather is just simply superb (25-30c = ~80f)

my big trough seems to stay cooler, doesnt use as much water despite being about 6x larger, and the peat stays moist for approx 1-2days even with an empty drink tray in the same weather (25-30c / 80f)

the smaller indoor pots really knocked my VFT's around big time.
one week in the mini peat bog trough and they are already recovering at a more rapid rate.
Oblivion liked this
By bombsboy
i like how steve thanked them for explaining the stuff :lol:

anyway... thats not "a" rhisome its more like "these" rhisomes :lol:
By Pickles6
............... holy moly! that's huge!
By Daniel_G
just read this and steves tips are BRILL best grower ever :D
Daniel_G liked this
By Ffpkirkp
Hey dude. Just read your bit on care for your vft, tons of handy stuff there! I've just noticed a few tiny black flies that seem to be living in the soil of my plant. I want to get rid of them so should I just buy some insecticide? I've heard that you can submerge your plant for two to three days and that kills off bugs too. Which would you reccommend?

Cheers

paddy
By roey benjamin marcus
Aren't those, like, aphids or spider mites or something? I was recommended Orthene.
By Ffpkirkp
Well, they're not spider mites because they're too big and they're deffinately flies and I didn't think they were aphids because they're living in the soil not on the plant. But I guess if orthene kills aphids safely it'll do the same for any pests?
By Nats
That was a great and very useful post Steve.
I am saving this for my FT care folder ;)
By sofarsogood
what is the limit temperature for flytrap Rhizome? :D
By Matt
sofarsogood wrote:what is the limit temperature for flytrap Rhizome? :D
On the cold end, as long as it doesn't freeze, it is fine. On the hot end, I don't know if anyone knows that for sure and it probably depends greatly on the size of the rhizome.
Matt liked this
By sofarsogood
oh yeah i have the problem right now ^^!
cause im in Arizona and the temperature often about 98-109 so im afraid of killing my plants while putting them outside ^^!
by the way could you show me the best way to increase humidity ? like...how to..use plastic bag will it kill my plants ?
AZ have a very low humidity in its atmosphere
By Matt
I wouldn't worry too much about the low humidity unless you see your plants burning. But I definitely would worry about the extremely high temperatures. I lived in Tucson for 8 years, so I know how hot it can get. I'd keep my plants out of sun most of the day, only giving them morning sun until the temperatures start getting really hot.

If you see that the plants are suffering due to lack of humidity (drying out and leaves are browning), you can mist them to help prevent that. But if you keep them out of the sun during the hottest parts of the day, it probably won't be much of an issue as long as it's not too windy and you keep the soil damp.
By sofarsogood
Matt wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about the low humidity unless you see your plants burning. But I definitely would worry about the extremely high temperatures. I lived in Tucson for 8 years, so I know how hot it can get. I'd keep my plants out of sun most of the day, only giving them morning sun until the temperatures start getting really hot.

If you see that the plants are suffering due to lack of humidity (drying out and leaves are browning), you can mist them to help prevent that. But if you keep them out of the sun during the hottest parts of the day, it probably won't be much of an issue as long as it's not too windy and you keep the soil damp.
ok so i guess i know my problem now the leaf of my plants is burning thats mean my plants is suffer in too hot condition and too low humidity right? should i put a plastic bag over my plants while keeping them inside? i guess it can increase temporary humidity :D but wondering may it kill my plants because the lack of oxygen :(
Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning) […]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!