FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By zoliky
Hello, I got a phalaenopsis orchid last winter. It was in full bloom for about three months. Now there are only five flowers left, and they will probably fall off shortly. I would like to repot the orchid because the roots outgrew the pot, and the pot cracked. I read many people mentioning that it's not a good idea to repot when the orchid is in bloom, but mine is at the end. I need your suggestions. Should I repot now in fresh bark and a larger pot or better wait until the spikes completely turn brown? also, should I cut both spikes at the base or just leave them as is?
The spikes and leaves are covered in sweet nectar. I don't know if this is because of the growing conditions or something else. My orchids receive 16 hours of artificial light (about 500 lumens per square foot) and they seem to like it; the leaves have beautiful light green coloration.
Attachments:
File May 24, 11 24 32 AM.jpeg
File May 24, 11 24 32 AM.jpeg (254.51 KiB) Viewed 2772 times
File May 24, 11 24 43 AM.jpeg
File May 24, 11 24 43 AM.jpeg (272.2 KiB) Viewed 2772 times
File May 24, 11 04 02 AM.jpeg
File May 24, 11 04 02 AM.jpeg (341.74 KiB) Viewed 2775 times
By evenwind
I'd wait until the spikes are all brown. Phals will frequently re-bloom on an old (but still green) spike. In the meantime, the cracked pot won't hurt the plant - you can even say that the crack lets more air reach the roots.

The plant looks healthy and happy as is.
evenwind liked this
By Fishkeeper
You have a very healthy plant!

The pot being like that won't hurt it, and it'll be okay with crowded roots for a bit longer. Orchids don't need too much pot space.

When you do repot it, you can probably just soak it, break the pot off, loosen a few outer roots, and then put the whole root ball in a larger pot and add some media around the outside.
By Wikiwakawakawee
I repotted many of my orchids when I first got them and they retained their flowers, although I mounted them instead. They did grow more flower buds, and even now, they still seem to grow some more continuing from the the original stem (This is the 3rd time it continues to grow flower buds from the same stem, not an offshoot from the stem, but the tip of the original itself!)
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Bag them for a month, opening the bag every day or[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!