FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Hungry Plants
Have a Nep that has a dead pitcher and one that is half dead. The one that is all dead the tentacle is tuning black as well. What is the best way to remove them and do I remove the tentacle too? Will the tentacle re-pitcher?

Thanks for any help!
By blucksy
The black tendril is toast. As for the the nepenthes that's completely brown be sure not to cut it too close to the pitcher or it will spill. I recommend waiting for the half dead completely to die. Is this plant okay? Seems like maybe your aren't providing adequate conditions.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
By ironcore21
It's normal for older pitchers to dry out but pictures are the best way to go I personally just cut the dry stuff off with scissors when it's dark and crunchy

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
By Hungry Plants
blucksy wrote:The black tendril is toast. As for the the nepenthes that's completely brown be sure not to cut it too close to the pitcher or it will spill. I recommend waiting for the half dead completely to die. Is this plant okay? Seems like maybe your aren't providing adequate conditions.

This is my first Nep. I got it about a month and a half ago. The are Pitchers that were on it when I got it. I don't get what you mean when you say it will spill(was it a joke about a spilling pitcher)

Here are pics of the pitchers.

ImageNepethes pitcher by disturbed_in_ct, on Flickr

The leef to the right is new and didn't grow a tentacle not sure why.
ImageNepethes by disturbed_in_ct, on Flickr

The leaves that are bad are the result of when I brought it home and it was adjusting .
By blucksy
Hungry Plants wrote:
blucksy wrote:The black tendril is toast. As for the the nepenthes that's completely brown be sure not to cut it too close to the pitcher or it will spill. I recommend waiting for the half dead completely to die. Is this plant okay? Seems like maybe your aren't providing adequate conditions.

This is my first Nep. I got it about a month and a half ago. The are Pitchers that were on it when I got it. I don't get what you mean when you say it will spill(was it a joke about a spilling pitcher)

Here are pics of the pitchers.

ImageNepethes pitcher by disturbed_in_ct, on Flickr

The leef to the right is new and didn't grow a tentacle not sure why.
ImageNepethes by disturbed_in_ct, on Flickr

The leaves that are bad are the result of when I brought it home and it was adjusting .
By the juice I meant the digestive fluid in the pitcher. And i think light might be your issue. Whenever my leaves dont produce tendrils it's normally a light issue.

By nimbulan
I generally wait until the tendril has died back to the leaf tip and cut there. The plant looks fine, and the red flushing on the leaves indicates that it is getting plenty of light. I don't see a new leaf without a tendril in any of the pictures.
By Hungry Plants
nimbulan wrote:I generally wait until the tendril has died back to the leaf tip and cut there. The plant looks fine, and the red flushing on the leaves indicates that it is getting plenty of light. I don't see a new leaf without a tendril in any of the pictures.

First pic with the completely dried up pitcher. To the right is a new leaf with just a nub of a tendril
My sundew isn’t eating!

Sadly my leaf cuttings haven’t grown probabl[…]

Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!