FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By matthewsmith56
I just got a Nepenthes rafflesianaI have it hanging in my back yard in the shade. It gets 3-4 hours of direct sunlight it had developed red spots on the leaves and the pitchers have begun to die. I water it all the time what am I doing wrong?
Last edited by matthewsmith56 on Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By sekler
did you just repot it ?
if you received it in the mail, the pitchers could have been emptied out in transport, normally you need to add water inside or most likely they will die.

Also, neps are very sensitive about changes in conditions. It is possible that the actual growth dies to settle for the new ones.
Checkout the nepenthes care guide on the section of the forum. Lowlands are more complicated to grow to high humidity and constant rates and high temperatures.

Where do you live ? This will help a lot to guide you especially if you grow it outside.
By matthewsmith56
I just got it in the mail about 2 weeks ago it is probably still adapting, I live in southern Florida so I have decent sun and humidity
By Daniel_G
Lowland Nepenthes need very high humidity, good, but indirect light, and around 27 to 32C Day's, faliure to produve these will make them sulk.

If you can correct these brilliant, but they are very hard to keep well.

Good luck :)
By victor
I think a moderator should move this to tropical pitcher plants.
By snapperhead51
you are not giving your plant enough sun, it need full sun all day every day !! temps 90f +or 35 c + every day and good rain water as well , the plant is see in the wild get sun all day long , those that dont have smaller pitchers and stunted growth most times ,not all ways depends on the type of plant !!
J
By HarrisAz
red spots causes by Low humidity plus temperature too high.
Actually,in Florida,i believe the temperature is just like here in malaysia but if the humidity is below 50%,the red spots will appear.

some of my nepenthes too have a few leaves with red spots and stems too since that it has been dry here(60% and less!).

so i suggest u to put it under 20%shade netting or something like that.

And yes,what Nepenthes is yours and can u take some pictures?

Thanks!
Harris
By matthewsmith56
I just changed my question to include the species of the plant (can’t believe I forgot that) sorry guys thanks
By HarrisAz
Dont worry,your plant would be cool soon.
Rafflesiana needs quite some humidity.

whats the current humidity at your place now?
By matthewsmith56
right now the humidity is 45% it's usually higher than that
By sekler
Lowland plants usually require no less than 70% or really they will show their unhappiness. They are pickier than highland plants, however sometimes neps can be surprisingly adaptable. I didnt see that often with lowlands though.
By matthewsmith56
the humidity has gone back up to 70% (we have been getting rain) but what about sun how much should a Nepenthes rafflesianaI. Some people say it needs a lot while some say it needs only shade?
By snapperhead51
yes it is a problem for you is it not !! and guess its from people with there experiences, but I can tell you from the wild experience being in Borneo so many times and seeing these plants so much there that most or nearly all get full sun , the ones that do get shade are usually less colourful and possibly smaller in size , and still depends on where you see them, for instance the ones in Bako Park not far out of Kuching Sarawak are not as large as the ones on the road side sites all in full sun as well , I will put a few pic's up for you below , your raff may be a green house plant or open nursery plant I dont know may be best to get the info from the place you got if from in what conditions they are growing in, and try to copy that climate so the plant dose not get too stressed any more and regress for some time !!!!you can not help the fluctuation in humidity in your climate and the plant in the open will not suffer to much from this as long as it has enough water to make up for it !! low land plant will suffer more from cooler conditions more than any thing else they must have constant temps above 30c or what ever that is in F ?? 85 F or more I think !! below this and they start to go a bit weird slowly, they are less forgiving than high land plants for sure !! you could for your own info look up the weather clime in Kuching , Muri , Kotakinablu , and other low land areas in Borneo and see for your self the temps humidity and rainfall so then you will know the correct micro climate you actually need ok
J
Attachments:
found this  so will put  this up too a great raff in  the open  road site  site
found this so will put this up too a great raff in the open road site site
P1000996.JPG (128.09 KiB) Viewed 6934 times
road  side site  this is where raff's and many other low land plants grow in open  full sun
road side site this is where raff's and many other low land plants grow in open full sun
P1010005.JPG (135.48 KiB) Viewed 6948 times
road site raff  full sun
road site raff full sun
P1000965.JPG (153.97 KiB) Viewed 6948 times
some road site raff's  fulll sun
some road site raff's fulll sun
P1010009.JPG (147.82 KiB) Viewed 6948 times
some of bako parks rock formation and where Raff's grow too very open , the person sitting down is Ch'ien Lee naturalist and author  of many neps books and our nep Borneo tour guide! great guy too !!
some of bako parks rock formation and where Raff's grow too very open , the person sitting down is Ch'ien Lee naturalist and author of many neps books and our nep Borneo tour guide! great guy too !!
P1010035.JPG (190.71 KiB) Viewed 6948 times
a Bako park Raff full sun
a Bako park Raff full sun
P1010026.JPG (154.98 KiB) Viewed 6948 times
Bako park Raff.JPG
Bako park Raff.JPG (146.72 KiB) Viewed 6948 times
By victor
Nice!
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!