FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions on how to propagate your plants sexually and asexually, by seed, natural division or leaf pulling

Moderator: Matt

By Branmuffin
I have planted about 100 VFT seeds this winter, I haven't had exceptionally high germination rates but today I finally got my first red out of a tiger teeth x tiger teeth seed. Super excited but these reds are much less common than I expected. Anyone have a rough estimate of what the odds are of getting a red?
By xr280xr
It really depends on the source of the seeds. If one or both of the parents exhibited red it will be much higher. I had a batch of 8 from FTS where 2 or 3 were red. For any given seed, I don't know, though.
xr280xr liked this
By Branmuffin
I have planted a couple 10 seed batches of crimson sawtooth x crimson sawtooth and never got a red. They seem quite elusive. I have 80 seeds that are about a week away from germinating so hopefully we get lucky.
By xr280xr
Interesting. Another thing to consider is unless it's a true, all-red VFT, it might not exhibit the same coloration as a seedling as it will as an adult. Even Akai Ryu can be green at times as an adult. But I believe its common for seedlings not to show much color until they're a year or two old.
xr280xr liked this
By iProcreate
It's tough to say. A couple years ago, I planted about 40 seeds and almost half were red and the parents were just typical. Last summer I planted well over 200 and none came out red.
By Branmuffin
Tarzanus wrote:If you bought 100 VFT seeds on eBay or aliexpress, you'll get 100 plants of common weed. :)
lol usually dragonfruit from what I have heard.

eBay is not a bad option for seed you just need to use common sense and filter on USA only. I believe Matt even sells seed on eBay.
By Bhart90
Tarzanus wrote:If you bought 100 VFT seeds on eBay or aliexpress, you'll get 100 plants of common weed. :)
Yea amen to that!

Or strawberries....

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

worm in substrate?

might be fungus gnat larvae

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!