FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Footbag
I just started acquiring plants for my carnivorous collection. I'm wondering if too much rain will negatively impact my VFTs. I currently have two very small VFTs (no traps just the first leaves starting to form)and a single medium sized plant. A few more VFTs will show up today. Should I be watching the weather closely and only putting them out if there will be sun and no rain? Or should I just worry about heavy rain? I don't want to over saturate them, and they are still likely in shock from the potting. Is there a low temp I should try and keep them out of? It could still hit the 45f at night here.

Besides the VFTs, I have some Sarracenia and a Drocera. I probably don't have to worry about them as much as they like more water, correct?

Thanks!
By tommyr
As long as the water tray level doesn't cover the rhizomes they should be just fine.
By KategoricalKarnivore
It rains in nature where they grow and they do just fine. Just don't leave them flooded after the rain. All my VFTs are outside in the elements. Seedlings to full grown.
By Lee KZN
I suppose one does tend to be a little over protective, especially us newbies :-)

I keep mine outside in the day and bring them inside during the night. Just to me safe:-)

What about windy conditions though... Would they not be at more risk being in pots and therefore not as protected by other plants as they are in nature?

Sent from my SM-G928C using Tapatalk
By tommyr
Lee KZN wrote:I suppose one does tend to be a little over protective, especially us newbies :-)

I keep mine outside in the day and bring them inside during the night. Just to me safe:-)

What about windy conditions though... Would they not be at more risk being in pots and therefore not as protected by other plants as they are in nature?

Sent from my SM-G928C using Tapatalk
Unless the pots tip and fall off a table or stand over they would be fine.
By Fishkeeper
If you get really hard, pelting rain, they'll appreciate some kind of shelter. Assuming the pots are drained well, the extra water won't hurt them.
You may want to put something over your drosera when it rains, actually, the rain rinses off their dew and it costs them energy to grow that back. It won't hurt them if you don't, but it'll do them some good if you do.
By Big-Jack
Flytraps love rain just like any other plant. Maybe even more than other plants because the rain water leaching through the soil and out the drain holes helps wash away the accumulative organic matter and cleans and sterilizes the roots which would be considered a negative effect with regular plants that need those minerals for food.

The only exception might be seedlings that could get flushed away or buried by erosion in a downpour.

Hello everyone! Looking for D. anglica plants for […]

Is This What To Look For?

Correct.

https://i.imgur.com/iSo5l71.jpeg https://i.imgu[…]

Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!