FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of subjects other than carnivorous plants, such as orchids, landscapes, etc.

Moderator: Matt

By Grey
Finally, a photograph of the new male.

No, he and Terra are not "tending each other's needs", her tail is curved over -- but at least he's hugging the right side this time! Their enclosure looks rather bare as I was in the middle of cleaning it out when I took this photo.
By Grey
Hehe, that choice is yours Daniel. I'm going to be rehoming eggs in future (probably selling them) once I have a fair amount, also looking to find homes for babies in future. I think I need to take one step at a time though. The eggs are very fresh (up to three now) and I'm just going to have to wait.

My brain is rather disjointed in its thought today. I can't seem to put together a comprehensible paragraph without shooting from one topic to another hahah.
By Grey
The stick insect nursery is completed!

About a month ago I started a project to create a stick insect nursery using an old shelving unit of mine. The unit consists of twelve blocks (15 x 15 x 15cm), their size is ideal for the first two to three months of an Extatosoma Tiaratum nymph's life. I set to work waterproofing each cubicle and ensuring there was a mesh roof to be used for moulting while my father sorted out the backboard and the door frame, my mother sewed together some mesh I had to create the front of the door (to allow superb ventilation, required by this species). After a few long breaks, some hammering, some tacking, some untacking and the death of both Creeper and my grandfather (rest in peace, sir) the nursery was completed. I decided to use ten of the twelve blocks as housing and the other two shall be used for storage.

The following photos show how much effort has been put into it, they were also taken using my grandfather's camera -- something I was graciously given and am still learning how to use.

I decorated the frame with some ivy sprigs I had, random fake vines are commonplace in my room and I think they work well. I love how the mesh door is nearly invisible.

The back board was nailed into place and I ran aquarium sealant around the bottom edges to prevent water seepage and draughts. Everything else in this enclosure that needed to be affixed has been done so with aquarium sealant as, unlike super glue (which can kill insects), once cured it is completely inert and devoid of fumes. It also can withstand being wet (funnily enough, being aquarium silicone).

I attached individual water pots to the bottom of each cubicle for stability, they are easy to open and close (even with my crappy hands) and water can be added/removed using a turkey baster. I cut a vivarium vine into sections and siliconed this to the back of each cubicle to offer an alternative route to the roof of the enclosure for when food plants are removed and replaced.

A close up of the mesh roof in each cubicle. This will provide a fantastic place to moult.

I can't describe how happy I am to see this unit back on my wall, I can finally start tidying up all the pots, pipettes, tweezers and other things I have put by for when Terra's eggs start hatching. This whole thing was a wonderful team effort and I am extremely grateful to both my parents for their help and support.
By CPgrower
Wow! This is so great Grey!! I thought I was the only scientifically obsessed person around. LOL. I don't keep insects, but I have lots of hermits in a decked out tank and about 5 fish tanks, including a hatchery. Yay! Go biologists! It's good to see you doing lots of projects. Your new enclosure is amazing!!
CPgrower liked this
By Grey
Thank you CPgrower! I'm really pleased with how it's turned out, looking forward to when the babies go in there. You keep hermits, eh? That sounds epic!! I would love to perhaps see some photos at some stage, if you're willing. Are they difficult to keep at all?

I'm utterly blown away at how enchanted I've become by these insects.
By Cloudy Sky
That. Is. Absolutely. Amazing!
I am so jealous! I have a breeding setup for leopard geckos ( named Cloud and Sky. I took creative liberties with the username ) but it is nowhere near as beautiful as your nursery! I also look forward to some hermit pictures!
By PeatMoss
Dang, nice setup! Looks like you put a lot of work into it!

I find old shelves, bookcases, ect. Can make fantastic setups for plants, animals, or whatever it may be. I've even seen photos of a CP terrarium built in an old television set! And aquariums made in old cars or gumball machines!
PeatMoss liked this
By Cloudy Sky
Geez, this place isn't just for CPs anymore lol. I'll post them soon if you really want. :)
By Grey
Thanks to everyone for their comments and support thus far! Things have been difficult this last week/ten days.

I had an opportunity to hold Firma for a little longer today, he wasn't too stressed so I thought it'd be an ideal opportunity to take some photographs. I fiddled with the settings on my grandfather's camera and was able to turn the flash off, so the below are the first real close ups of Firma...

He's adorable.
By Grey
Hehe I agree with you Cloudy Sky!

I just checked the beetle tank and saw three animals in there, after a moment it hit me: I had two yesterday. That means one of the cocoons hatched!! The new one is a little bigger than the other two and he/she is absolutely stunning! This is so cool!

I do hold a minor amount of concern however as the beetle appears to have some form of white powder on it's back end, not sure if this is normal or not.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Bag them for a month, opening the bag every day or[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!