FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Homebrewer
My daughter and I both have a VFT. I plan on transplanting them into bigger pots. Yes a mixture of 50/50 peat moss and perlite. I was going to plant each plant in a small fish bowl but after looking around here that was not a good idea. I am leaning toward 3" round pots with saucers. Do they need to be kept in a terrarium? I plan on putting them out side from time to time but for the most part they will kept in front of a sunny window inside.

I am confused on this matter? What is the best way to keep these plants happy? Is a terrarium a must or does it have to be in a terrarium certain times of the year or are they just not needed???? :? :? :?

Thanks for any help.
By dantt99
Sounds like you have the soil aspect right :)
As far as terrariums, they are not needed, and actually not good for the plant. VFT's are very tolerant of low humidity and high temperatures. You are better off without a terrarium and just growing it outside on a lit patio or deck, or yard. Even a windowsill is fine.
Try reading these articles:
FlyTrapCare.com
Light for Venus Flytraps
Water for Venus Flytraps
Soil for Venus Flytraps
Dormancy for Venus Flytraps
Welcome to FTC, hope I'm helping :D!
dantt99, dantt99 liked this
By Adam
Enclosures allow fungus and other spores to accumulate. Since vfts are slow growers, they can quickly be overcome by these nasties. Good ventilation and avoidence of over-watering are often overlooked but are important once you get the basics right.
By Homebrewer
Matt wrote:Daniel already got your questions and gave you links to articles you should definitely read.

I just wanted to say hello and welcome to the site. I'm also curious about what you brew at home...:)
I mostly brew ale's.

I also want to thank every one for all the help on this matter. I feel much better about putting them in plain pots!!

Also is spring water okay to use?
By Grey
Hello and welcome to our lovely community!

Spring water is not good for venus fy traps; it's packed full of minerals which will harm the plant. Pure water (distilled, deionised, reverse osmosis or rain water) is the only safe thing to use for VFTs =].
Grey liked this
By victor
You've got some great help already! I just wnated to say hi and good luck with your plant!
Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!