FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Hobbes812
Thinking very hard about getting them. But I understand humidity under 60% won't produce pitchers. Phoenix is on average 1-5 humidity. Is it totally futile? I grow all my plants indoors. Can this be pulled off?
By Grey
There are various ways to increase humidity. You can try a tall terrarium (as we are talking about a Nepenthes) or a greenhouse. You can purchase miniature greenhouses from many department stores, or plastic covers that are often used as mini greenhouses.

Misting a plant with pure water (using a plant mister) is another way to increase humidity, although it works best when the plant is in a confined space.

Going back to terrariums, an old fish tank with proper ventilation can make a fine one, or an old vivarium. You can also purchase specially designed terrariums (though I don't really know where from). If you look for an old fish tank I recommend using a site like eBay, as you can get them cheap and they don't need to be water-tight!

Good luck!
By dimitar
I agree with Grey! This is a good solution.
Nep's generally prefer high humidity to do well and to form pitchers. Humidity of about 60% during the day is too poor for them and the plant will not feel well. It will form only leaves without pitchers. However, my highlanders Nep's grow at 75 -80 % humidity during the day and evening temperatures drop significantly over 15C and humidity rising to over 95%.
By Hobbes812
Alright guys thanks. I think I might have to switch my sights on something else. Don't have the money for that stuff! lol. I'm sort of new to cultivation. Starts about 6-8 months ago. Got a capensis sundew that I leave in the open Indoors. I grow under aUVA/UVB bulb and it is very green and full of dew. Got a fvt in the fridge. A spatulas as well lookin great. And a drosera madagascariensis. About 3 inches and it's dying and I can't figure out why. I think it's too far gone and I'm looking for a beautiful good to look at pant that is easy to care for. Any suggestions?
By Grey
I've just been reading through the forums about terrariums (I'm looking to make one) and you can even use a 2L bottle as one :lol:. It'll work for small plants, just chop off the bottom and allow aeration by cutting a few shapes out of the newly cut plastic (be careful though) and keep the bottle cap off. Spiffy! You do have to be careful with mould though.

I've been growing carnivorous plants a similar time frame as you heh. You learn so much so quickly thanks to these forums!

I'm afraid I'm not too good with drosera, here's hoping someone with experience can help you.

As for good looking plants -- Pinguicula are my favourites. They look like flowers that are constantly in bloom (despite having very simple yet stunning flowers of their own) and have a very similar trapping mechanism to that of a drosera; they exude a buttery substance from their leaves. Pinguicula are also known as Butterworts so you know where it gets its name.

I personally think Mexican varieties are easier to care for, you can find the caresheet for them here if you want to have a look. Mexican Pinguicula do have a dormancy period, but it's completely different to that of a venus fly trap -- I find it easier to replicate.

Utricularia (bladderworts) are nice to look at, they flower profusely and are generally happy as long as they are kept damp. If you're interested in them, I suggest Terrestrial Utricularia, I made a care sheet on them that is available here.
By Hobbes812
Thanks! I was looking at a few butterworts actually. Some different pitchers too. I just hate 5 month dormancy where you can't Marvel at the plant. Thanks for the advice!
By Grey
I know exactly what you mean! I miss Big Red and Mr. Nomnom.

Although, Mexican Pinguicula go through a dry dormancy, not a cold one. All you have to do to induce it is gradually lower light, water and prey.

During dormancy, a Mexican Pinguicula's leaves will change shape and lose the buttery substance that catches prey (these leaves are known as succulent leaves, not carnivorous). They'll allow grow more leaves which will gently "stack" and rest on eachother. They are just as beautiful while in dormancy as they are when out of it.

That's the joy of Mexican Pinguicula! :D
By Ae9803
Hobbes812,
I have the same growing environment as you. I live in the Texas panhandle where it is hot semi arid desert here. Although, it is very simple to grow species like N sanguinea Successfully. It is a very lovely plant to grow and I enjoy ever bit of it. Even with plants that require some humidity, you can successfully acclimate them to lower levels of humidity. Anyways, let me know if you need help, I live in a climate exactly similar to yours and Id be more than happy show you some pointers :D

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!