FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By jht-union
Hello again!!!

is it possible to take one vft clone from your collection(pink,B52,dentate), and planted in their natural habitat????, will it survive?????

Hope to hear some answers!!!! :mrgreen:
By Veronis
I'm not sure of the legality of doing so, but it should survive just fine if there are other flytraps there. It would basically be like repotting it.

But again, I know that extracting a flytrap from its natural habitat is illegal, but I don't know what it would say about planting one there without getting permission from the local authorities. They might consider it a disturbance of the flytraps' habitat.
Veronis, Veronis liked this
By jht-union
Veronis wrote:I'm not sure of the legality of doing so, but it should survive just fine if there are other flytraps there. It would basically be like repotting it.

But again, I know that extracting a flytrap from its natural habitat is illegal, but I don't know what it would say about planting one there without getting permission from the local authorities. They might consider it a disturbance of the flytraps' habitat.
Probably repotting one should be a problem for authorities, but maybe repotting a few 1000 would be beneficial to the conservation of the VFT!!!! :mrgreen:

Thanks for answering back Veronis!!!!
By Steve_D
If you buy some land in the Venus Flytrap's native habitat, or with similar soil that Venus Flytraps can thrive in, you can certainly plant Venus Flytraps on your own land. There are lots of arguments against planting anything that is not native into another area, because it might become invasive. Classic examples include Russian Thistle (which is known in the U.S. as "tumbleweed") and Kudzu vine from China, which was thought to help prevent erosion and was planted in a few places in the American Southeast. Kudzu is now a major problem in many areas of the Southeast.

But Venus Flytraps are not very vigorously invasive. I wouldn't hesitate to plant them on my own property, and one of my recurring fantasies is to own a bit of land in their native habitat to have a natural colony or preserve of Venus Flytraps, that I could perhaps give tours of and leave to The Nature Conservancy or some other secure entity when I die.
Steve_D liked this
By jht-union
Steve, that sounds like a really good idea, and you can always talk to the preservers that take care of the habitat, and certainly they will let you plant a lot of VFT's, and that means: 1000 VFT's+ the little habitat they have right now= less chances of extinction!!!!!!!!=).
By Oblivion
while i agree, if i had property that could take em naturally i sure would plant them too.

but at the same time you have to understand its not the same as saving the naturally growing VFT's.

when we come in and clear land, were not just chopping down a few trees.
you cant just replant some trees and expect it to all "equal out" in the end.

we're destroying entire habitats and ecosystems that work together as nature intended.

a prime example, is the "doomsday seed vault".
prime example: wheat.
theyre now going to great extremes to find heirloom seeds that have been used for generations because all of the wheat seeds we've grown are bred specifically to give bumper crops, but they are not tolerant to harsh conditions (eg drought)

so they went to great lengths to find a tiny village hidden in the hills and valleys of somewhere near russia (one of the "stans" - uzbekistan, khazakstan or similar place)
that had refused to grow seed offered by the UN, and stuck with their own type of wheat.

it might not give crops as big, but it virtually guarantee's a crop.. unlike modern seeds.

so while you can plant VFT's in the wild (or wheat) what we grow is nothing like the naturally occuring varieties.

we've done the same, weve used selective breeding to get red traps, dentate (saw tooths) or a variety with huge traps, etc.

none of us are actually growing a truely natural VFT, we all grow the plant equivalent of "dolly the sheep".
Oblivion liked this
By jht-union
Yes, i agree with you, is really sad that we're destroying every ecosystem(and this is going to continue for many years, at the end our generations will suffer from the damage we are doing now to our earth, the good thing, they will be concern, and they will go back to the original way things were doned first, saving the earth!!!), and your are right, we're not really saving the wild natural specie, but the new growth(seeds), they will be part of the wild specie if we planted some seeds in there.

Hope that some day, the wild VFT changes its genes, and would be able to grow in any condition around the earth!!!!!!=)
By Steve_D
Oblivion wrote:none of us are actually growing a truely natural VFT, we all grow the plant equivalent of "dolly the sheep".
Very good points. :) However, even our pampered clones have a full range of genetic information, and I'll bet that within a few generations, several seeding and germinating/growing cycles in natural terrain, Venus Flytraps would grow that would be well adapted and hardy in a natural environment out of our careful cultivation, if we can keep the first ones from dying (I think that would be easy or even unnecessary) or sprout the seedlings first under our care, then plant them in the native soil.

It's an experiment I would love to try if I live long enough and ever have the opportunity.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!